Workaround for Excel on Sharepoint (many users)

pasjauo

Hey all,

Right now I'm working on having a statistical Excel file on my company's SharePoint server. Right now that is working fine as a test with only me using the file. When it goes live the obvious bottleneck is that we have perhaps 20-25 people using the file as various points of the day. There will be times when person A is working in the document and person B and C wanting to Work on it.

As i understand Excel, there is no workaround to this at all when it is placed on SharePoint?

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Pasjauo,
The bottleneck isnot caused by where the Excel Workbook is located. It is caused by Excel itselfnot allowing more than one user to update a single workbook at a time. I hadthe same issue as you, several people needing to access and update a singlespreadsheet. The way I got around that was to treat the main Spreadsheet as aMaster, then created separate spreadsheets for each user with an Update buttonit. Clicking the update button would open the master, copy changed info fromthe master to the users spreadsheet, copy changed info from the usersspreadsheet to the master, save the master, and close the master. The wholeprocess only took a few seconds. You could also add code to each users Updatebutton to check if the master is already open and stop that process until themaster is available again. The reason I am not showing the code to do this istwo-fold. It is very long, to print it out takes multiple sheets of 8.5 x11paper, and it does contain company specific information.
Computerman

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back