INDEX returns '0' when destination cell is empty - can this be changed?

SteveSGSJ

I am not an experienced excel person... trying to make a spreadsheet for a rural pool league. Using (cutting, pasting & modifying) from some other spreadsheets.
The following INDEX statement returns a 0 when the destination cell is empty... can I change the statement(add a parameter) to have it return an empty cell instead of the 0??

=INDEX('TEAM REGISTRATION'!$A$6:$Z$26,MATCH($A$15,'TEAM REGISTRATION'!$A$6:$A$26,),MATCH(C4,'TEAM REGISTRATION'!$A$6:$Z$6,))

Granted there may be completely different ways to accomplish what I am doing... But I have got my head around this statement, starting with a new one would be hard for me... not experienced in EXCEL

Any help in fixing this statement would be much appreciated.

Steve

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
You can always use Format Cells function to get rid of this issue. Select the cells where the issue occurs and then simply press CTRL+1, Number > Custom and in the type box, type: 0;;;@

THAT'S IT!!!! Thanks so much. Like I previously said, I am not experienced in EXCEL and would probably never found that resolution on my own. I have to add that to my "How To" folder.

I also tested it on the remainder of the cells that are returning a significant number, and all is well.

Thanks again,
Steve

Upvote 0
THAT'S IT!!!! Thanks so much. Like I previously said, I am not experienced in EXCEL and would probably never found that resolution on my own. I have to add that to my "How To" folder.

I also tested it on the remainder of the cells that are returning a significant number, and all is well.

Thanks again,
Steve

Glad I could help. I was looking for exactly same thing few days ago and thought I’d share :)

Upvote 0
That most likely means your version of Excel pre-dates the IFERROR function, what version of Excel do you have?

Yes I do have an older version of EXCEL... like real old... 2000 ! I am one of those not really interested in 'keeping up' tech wise anymore... only replace what/when I NEED to.

Again... thanks for the help

Upvote 0
Glad I could help. I was looking for exactly same thing few days ago and thought I’d share :)

Nice to know there are others that believe in sharing the knowledge they have! IMO.. that's the way our world is suppose to work.

... and with that said, are there any mathematicians out there that would like a challenge?? My project is creating a spreadsheet to track statistics for a rural pool league. No interest (or money) to get into the online set-ups or join a 'sanctioned' league. I will try to parse out (in english) what I am trying to do and post it. Can it go in this thread, or should I start a new one. Hopefully my older version of EXCEL doesn't stop me from doing what needs to be done.
Thanks, Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ak94

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back