INDEX returns '0' when destination cell is empty - can this be changed?

SteveSGSJ

I am not an experienced excel person... trying to make a spreadsheet for a rural pool league. Using (cutting, pasting & modifying) from some other spreadsheets.
The following INDEX statement returns a 0 when the destination cell is empty... can I change the statement(add a parameter) to have it return an empty cell instead of the 0??

=INDEX('TEAM REGISTRATION'!$A$6:$Z$26,MATCH($A$15,'TEAM REGISTRATION'!$A$6:$A$26,),MATCH(C4,'TEAM REGISTRATION'!$A$6:$Z$6,))

Granted there may be completely different ways to accomplish what I am doing... But I have got my head around this statement, starting with a new one would be hard for me... not experienced in EXCEL

Any help in fixing this statement would be much appreciated.

Steve

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Typically, =A1 will return 0 if A1 is empty, so this behavior is expected.

One way around that is to use =A1&"".

Try changing your formula to
=INDEX('TEAM REGISTRATION'!$A$6:$Z$26,MATCH($A$15,'TEAM REGISTRATION'!$A$6:$A$26,),MATCH(C4,'TEAM REGISTRATION'!$A$6:$Z$6,)) & ""

Upvote 0
I looked at these both again. My understanding is that the MATCH functions are gathering the parameters for the INDEX function ( the what to look for in the column then the row ). With that said, am I to assume that the index function cannot be modified to avoid returning the zero that exists in the intersecting (destination) cell?

Upvote 0
The value within that cell. All cells being searched have a numeric content. I am trying to avoid bringing over the zero values when they are hit.

Upvote 0
This gives me a formula error. Was the intention to add ' &"" ' to the end of the statement? You mentioned to use ' =A1&"" '.

Upvote 0
Sorry..that was incorrect... all cells are numeric, but some are empty. Would like hte return to be empty, or blank, as well.

Upvote 0
You can always use Format Cells function to get rid of this issue. Select the cells where the issue occurs and then simply press CTRL+1, Number > Custom and in the type box, type: 0;;;@

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

See if this solves your problem:

=IFERROR(1/(1/INDEX('TEAM REGISTRATION'!$A$6:$Z$26,MATCH($A$15,'TEAM REGISTRATION'!$A$6:$A$26,),MATCH(C4,'TEAM REGISTRATION'!$A$6:$Z$6,))),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpierce

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back