How to change other cell value

treeppm

Board Regular
Hello fellows. I have a doubt on Excel calculation.

If I change the A1 value the B1 should automatically change to 1
the same if suppose I change B1 value the A1 should change to 1

Kind Regards

Last edited:
Try this:
Perfect one. Thank you so much for the effort bro., Could you please explain this section?
Code:
[FONT=lucida console][COLOR=Royalblue]Case[/COLOR] [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]
                    Target.Offset([COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR], [COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]
                    Target.Offset([COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR], [COLOR=crimson]4[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=Royalblue]Case[/COLOR] [COLOR=crimson]3[/COLOR]
                    Target.Offset([COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR], -[COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]
                    Target.Offset([COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR], [COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=Royalblue]Case[/COLOR] [COLOR=crimson]5[/COLOR]
                    Target.Offset([COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR], -[COLOR=crimson]4[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]
                    Target.Offset([COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR], -[COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/FONT]

Kind Regards

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Target.Column is the column number of "Target" (the cell you're selecting). So if you select A1 it means Target.Column = 1, while selecting C1 means Target.Column = 3. So 'Case 1' mean if you select column 1 (col A).
So if you select A1 and you want to change value C1 & E1 then we use Offset.
Case 1
Target.Offset(0, 2) = 1 'means from A1 move 2 column to the right, i.e C1

If you don't want use column as reference you can just use the range, like this:

Code:
[FONT=lucida console]        [COLOR=Royalblue]Select[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Case[/COLOR] Target
        [COLOR=Royalblue]Case[/COLOR] Range([COLOR=brown]"A1"[/COLOR])
        Target.Offset([COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR], [COLOR=crimson]4[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Royalblue]Case[/COLOR] Range([COLOR=brown]"C1"[/COLOR])
        Target.Offset([COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR], -[COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Royalblue]Case[/COLOR] Range([COLOR=brown]"E1"[/COLOR])
        Target.Offset([COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR], -[COLOR=crimson]4[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Select[/COLOR][/FONT]

Upvote 0
Target.Column is the column number of "Target" (the cell you're selecting). So if you select A1 it means Target.Column = 1, while selecting C1 means Target.Column = 3. So 'Case 1' mean if you select column 1 (col A).
So if you select A1 and you want to change value C1 & E1 then we use Offset.
Case 1
Target.Offset(0, 2) = 1 'means from A1 move 2 column to the right, i.e C1

If you don't want use column as reference you can just use the range, like this:

Code:
[FONT=lucida console]        [COLOR=Royalblue]Select[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Case[/COLOR] Target
        [COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Select[/COLOR][/FONT]
The above code doesn't work. sometimes It replace value 1 in G1. I replaced the code and saved file then closed, reopened and start typing A1 value and changed value in C1 then it seems it replace G1 to 1

Upvote 0
The above code doesn't work. sometimes It replace value 1 in G1. I replaced the code and saved file then closed, reopened and start typing A1 value and changed value in C1 then it seems it replace G1 to 1

Hm, don't know why that happen, I can't reproduce the behavior, it works for me. :confused:
This is the modified code, right?

Code:
[FONT=lucida console][COLOR=Royalblue]Private[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR] Worksheet_Change([COLOR=Royalblue]ByVal[/COLOR] Target [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] Range)
    [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Not[/COLOR] Intersect(Target, Range([COLOR=brown]"A1,C1,E1"[/COLOR])) [COLOR=Royalblue]Is[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Nothing[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] Target.Cells.Count = [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]And[/COLOR] Target.Value > [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
        Application.EnableEvents = [COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Royalblue]Select[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Case[/COLOR] Target
        [COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Select[/COLOR]

Application.EnableEvents = [COLOR=Royalblue]True[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR][/FONT]

Upvote 0
Ah, actually you're right, the code has a problem, it reads the target and range as its value.
So we need to use the address property instead. Like this:

Code:
[FONT=lucida console][COLOR=Royalblue]Private[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR] Worksheet_Change([COLOR=Royalblue]ByVal[/COLOR] Target [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] Range)

[COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Not[/COLOR] Intersect(Target, Range([COLOR=brown]"A1,C1,E1"[/COLOR])) [COLOR=Royalblue]Is[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Nothing[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] Target.Cells.Count = [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]And[/COLOR] Target.Value > [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
            Application.EnableEvents = [COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=Royalblue]Select[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Case[/COLOR] Target.Address
                    [COLOR=Royalblue]Case[/COLOR] [COLOR=brown]"$A$1"[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=Royalblue]Case[/COLOR] [COLOR=brown]"$C$1"[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=Royalblue]Case[/COLOR] [COLOR=brown]"$E$1"[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Select[/COLOR]
            Application.EnableEvents = [COLOR=Royalblue]True[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR][/FONT]

Upvote 0
Yo man., Great with perfect explanation. Thank you so much life saver. because the time is life. you saved my lots of time.

Kind Regards

Upvote 0
Yo man., Great with perfect explanation. Thank you so much life saver. because the time is life. you saved my lots of time.

Kind Regards

You're welcome, glad to help, & thanks for the feedback. (y)

Upvote 0
It's not possible to treat a cell as Input and Output Cell at the same time.... In Excel it's not possible. But I am sure, it can be done with the help of VBA.

Upvote 0
It's not possible to treat a cell as Input and Output Cell at the same time.... In Excel it's not possible. But I am sure, it can be done with the help of VBA.

You guys are everywhere. You came here to say this?. Clearly I stated I want that kind of result. whether its VBA, ABA or anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notmrdurden

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back