p r
b b
r b
b r
b b
r b
b r
b r

i need to find the pattern rbbrbb in each column.

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
I have 30 columns of data as shown:

P b
p r
b b
r b
b r
b b
r b
b r
b r

i need to find the pattern rbbrbb in each column.
Since your pattern involves a repeat sub-pattern, what should be highlighted for the following...

b
r
b
b

r
b
b

r
b
b

r

the first matching set, the last matching set or all three sub-patterns? Note that I have marked each sub-pattern a differen color so you can better see the problem... my question is does the red and blue get highlighted, or does the blue and purple get highlighted or does all of the colored cells get highlighted?

Upvote 0
The rbbrbb is the pattern with six characters I want to identify in each of the 30 columns and any other of the same pattern in each column.. If you can highlight the first character in the pattern this would be ideal.

Upvote 0
The rbbrbb is the pattern with six characters I want to identify in each of the 30 columns and any other of the same pattern in each column.. If you can highlight the first character in the pattern this would be ideal.
I do not think that answers the question I asked. Let me try it a different way. Consider the following...

Code:
b
r   1
b   1
b   1
r   1   2
b   1   2
b   1   2
r       2
b       2
b       2
r

The numbers 1 and the numbers 2 identify the pattern you said you want to highlight... but they overlap... what should be highlighted?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just am not making myself clear about what I want to do. If you do a web search "Is it possible for excel to find patterns". The first result show you how find all the same patterns in column "A" just the way I need. Having studied Excel VBA Programming for Dummies for days, I was not able to change the code to do the same to the remaining 29 columns. I hope now you can understand my problem. I am very thankful for the time you have now devoted to this problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuddy_Duddy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back