"NO FILL" still defined/active on the FILL-COLOR pull-down menu after changing row color to yellow via conditional formatting

Poresha

resending previously sent question ... since the screenshot got translated into some sort of Romulan ?Klingon? jibberish.
new to this forum ... evidently I'm not allowed to include a screenshot via cut&paste.

anywho ... to restate ... why is row #42 / col #A ( or any cell/column in row #42 for that matter ) ... still being reported as "No Fill" by the FILL-COLOR
pull-down menu. Note ... row #42 used to be "No Fill" ... until my Conditional Formatting changed row #42 to yellow, as can be clearly seen. Well ... you
can't see it, but I can.

END OF MESSAGE.

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Post the file.

You cant attach files on this forum.

Upload the file to an online storage site and post a link to it, though some people may not download the file for fear of viruses.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

There are tools you can use to post screen images. They are listed in Section B of this link here:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-a...forum-use.html.
Also, there is a Test Here forum on this board that you can use to test out these tools to make sure they are working correctly before using them in your question.

Upvote 0
You cant attach files on this forum.
But you CAN post images using the tools I mentioned, and that does not require anyone to download their file.
If providing guidance to people, please include this option.

Upvote 0
Conditional formatting doesn't update the icons on the ribbon, so the Fill Colour icon won't change based on the cell content/formula.

Upvote 0
But you CAN post images using the tools I mentioned, and that does not require anyone to download their file.
If providing guidance to people, please include this option.

Ok, but in the case of this problem I can't see how you can view the Condtional Formatting formulas by looking at an image.

Upvote 0
Ok, but in the case of this problem I can't see how you can view the Condtional Formatting formulas by looking at an image.
They could post the image, and then post the formulas they are doing (like posting any other formula).

Upvote 0
To address the Excel question, the fill color pull down controls the normal (non-conditional) formatting of the cell.
Adding conditional formatting doesn't change that. And meeting (or not meeting) the CF condition doesn't change that, either.

Which is one reason that VB routines that depend on a cell's color have problems dealing with Conditionally formatted cells.

Upvote 0
To address the Excel question, the fill color pull down controls the normal (non-conditional) formatting of the cell.
Adding conditional formatting doesn't change that. And meeting (or not meeting) the CF condition doesn't change that, either.

Which is one reason that VB routines that depend on a cell's color have problems dealing with Conditionally formatted cells.

THANKS MIKERICKSON ! THIS IS WHAT I WAS SUSPECTING ... UNFORTUNATELY.

VB routines that depend on a cell's color have problems dealing with Conditionally formatted cells

VB & CF ... not good bunk mates.

Upvote 0
However the .DisplayFormat property of a cell will show the current format (default or CF derived) of a cell.
To summarize, the .Font and .Interior properties of a cell are the default (pre-CF) specifications for a cell. The .DisplayFormat is the current (post-CF) condition of a cell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back