Percentage questions

leomac

Hello everyone I have a problem:
I have to calculate how much each car contributes as a percentage to give me a total spending balance in $, in a given rental period calculated as a percentage.

For example:
Car 1: spending balance 1000 $, on 75% of the time of which it was rented;
Car 2: spending balance 2000 $, on 55% of the time of which it was rented;
total spending balance 3000 $, on 100% of the time of which the cars were rented.

The cars can be used at the same time.

How much each car has contributed in percentage to give me the total balance spent, based on the time of rent in percentage?

It should be the second by eye and cross but I cannot calculate it so I cannot find the formula. I'm going crazy, could you help me? ;)

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Hi, what exactly do you want the results to be in this example ?

If you can calculate the result without using Excel, then we should be able to come up with an Excel formula that will do the same.
But if you don't know how to calculate it without using Excel, then this is really a maths question.
And for that, we need clarity on what exactly you want to do.

Upvote 0
yes I know, Gerald you are right. It is more a problem of arithmetic and then of an excel formula....

I give another example to facilitate:
Mark, Jhon and Victor are three workers who have to fill a tank.

Mark takes and fills the tank with 2 liters of water and then exhausted goes home.
Jhon takes and fills the tank with 3 liters of water and then exhausted goes home.
Victor takes and fills the tank with 2 liters of water and then exhausted goes home.

Considering 100% of the time (it does not matter if it is a year, a month or a day) Mark needs 75%, Jhon needs 60% and Victor needs 33% of the time to fill the tank with 2L + 3L + 2L = 7L

So:
Mark 2L in 75%;
Jhon 3L in 60%;
Victor 2L in 33%;
TOT = 7L (total liters) in 100% (total time).

If I have 100 $, how much I pay Mark, Jhon and Victor considering the time and the liters of water that they transported (the impact on the total). Victor transported more water and spent less time to do the job so he has to be rewarded more than the others. But I can not find the formula to calculate all this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How much you pay them is really up to you :)

I'm not being flippant, but there are all kinds of agreements on how much to pay people.

For example, you could say that Mark and Victor both put 2 litres in the tank, and therefore both deserve to be paid the same, because do you really care how long they take ?
OR, you could say that Mark worked on this for more time than Victor did, so Mark deserves to be paid more.
OR, you could say that Victor fills the tank faster than Mark, so Victor deserves to be paid more.

It's really up to you to work out what you want to do here.

It sounds like you want to pay them based on speed of filling, which you can easily calculate if you know how much each guy puts in the tank, and how much time they spend doing it.

Yes, I know, your challenge is not really about filling a tank, but you get the point.

Upvote 0
It sounds like you want to pay them based on speed of filling, which you can easily calculate if you know how much each guy puts in the tank, and how much time they spend doing it.

Exactly what I want to do. But time is in percentage. Show me at least with Mark how you would do it, please.

Upvote 0
So:
Mark 2L in 75% ==> 75% -100% total time = 25% ==> 1% t : x L = 2L : 25% t => 12.5 L
Jhon 3L in 60% ==> 60% - 100% total time = 40% ==> 1% t : x L = 3L : 40% t => 13 L
Victor 2L in 33% ==> 33% - 100% total time = 67% ==> 1% t : x L = 2L : 67% t => 33 L

12.5 + 13 + 33 = 59 L TOT

Work of done in %
Mark => 12.5 L : 59 TOT L = x: 100 => 21%
Jhon => 13 : 59 = x: 100 => 22.03 %
Victor => 33 : 59 = x: 100 => 55.93 %

So 56 $ to Victor, 22 to Jhon and 22 to Mark.
Is it correct?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I make a mistake:

Mark 2L in 75% ==> 1% t : x L = 75% t : 2 L => 0.02 L
Jhon 3L in 60% ==> 1% t : x L = 60% t : 3 L => 0.05 L
Victor 2L in 33% ==> 1% t : x L = 33% t : 2 L => 0.06 L

0.02 + 0.05 + 0.06 = 0.13 L TOT at 1% t

Mark => 0.02 L : 0.13 TOT L = x : 100 => 15.4 %
Jhon => 0.05 L : 0.13 TOT L = x : 100 => 38.5 %
Victor => 0.05 L : 0.13 TOT L = x : 100 => 46.1 %

So 46.1 $ to Victor, 38.5 to Jhon and 15.4 to Mark.
Now I think is ok

Upvote 0
Gerarld, no more thank you, talk with you clarified my ideas. The formula is easy at this point. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kcolwell16

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back