VBA Filter codes needs amendment to filter values which are seperated with a comma

hrayani

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I am using this VBA code to filter records.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) 
 Application.ScreenUpdating = False

With ActiveSheet.Range("D5:F1000")
    .AutoFilter
    .AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="*" & Range("D4") & "*", visibledropdown:=False
    .AutoFilter Field:=2, Criteria1:="*" & Range("E4") & "*", visibledropdown:=False
    .AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:="*" & Range("F4") & "*", visibledropdown:=False
    End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Here is what i require:

If I enter (Tony, Smith) in cell D4 then the code should filter both records for tony & smith.

As of now the code only allows me to enter a single criteria in cells D4:F4

I would want the code to allow me to enter multiple criteria entered with a comma sign.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards,

Humayun

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
This is untested:
Make sure you type just comma (without space) between the items e.g "Tony,Smith".
Code:
[FONT=lucida console]Application.ScreenUpdating = [COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR]
    arr = Split(Range([COLOR=brown]"D4"[/COLOR]), [COLOR=brown]","[/COLOR])
    [COLOR=Royalblue]With[/COLOR] ActiveSheet.Range([COLOR=brown]"D5:F1000"[/COLOR])
    .AutoFilter
    .AutoFilter Field:=[COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR], Criteria1:=arr, [COLOR=Royalblue]Operator[/COLOR]:=xlFilterValues, visibledropdown:=[COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]With[/COLOR]

Application.ScreenUpdating = [COLOR=Royalblue]True[/COLOR]
[/FONT]

Note:
You use Private Sub Worksheet_Change
I think you should limit the event to cell D4, otherwise it will be triggered on any cell's change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Akuini,

Code you provided is working perfect. Can u amend it so that it can work for all columns D, E & F..

Make sure you type just comma (without space) between the items e.g "Tony,Smith"

Well i tried with space and its working fine.

Upvote 0
Thanks Akuini,

Code you provided is working perfect. Can u amend it so that it can work for all columns D, E & F..

Try this:

Code:
[FONT=lucida console]Application.ScreenUpdating = [COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR]

arr1 = Split(Range([COLOR=brown]"D4"[/COLOR]), [COLOR=brown]","[/COLOR])
arr2 = Split(Range([COLOR=brown]"E4"[/COLOR]), [COLOR=brown]","[/COLOR])
arr3 = Split(Range([COLOR=brown]"F4"[/COLOR]), [COLOR=brown]","[/COLOR])

[COLOR=Royalblue]With[/COLOR] ActiveSheet.Range([COLOR=brown]"D5:F1000"[/COLOR])
    .AutoFilter
    [COLOR=Royalblue]On[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Resume[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR]
    .AutoFilter Field:=[COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR], Criteria1:=arr1, [COLOR=Royalblue]Operator[/COLOR]:=xlFilterValues, visibledropdown:=[COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR]
    .AutoFilter Field:=[COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR], Criteria1:=arr2, [COLOR=Royalblue]Operator[/COLOR]:=xlFilterValues, visibledropdown:=[COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR]
    .AutoFilter Field:=[COLOR=crimson]3[/COLOR], Criteria1:=arr3, [COLOR=Royalblue]Operator[/COLOR]:=xlFilterValues, visibledropdown:=[COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Royalblue]On[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]GoTo[/COLOR] [COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]With[/COLOR]

Application.ScreenUpdating = [COLOR=Royalblue]True[/COLOR][/FONT]

Upvote 0
Working Perfect...

few minor issues..

1) The code i was using was working with the contains part of filter.. Like Ton for Tony, Sm for Smith. I did not had to enter full name.
2) When i press delete on a blank cell then all the cells shows filter arrows.

Any Idea ??

Upvote 0
1) The code i was using was working with the contains part of filter.. Like Ton for Tony, Sm for Smith. I did not had to enter full name.

Sorry, don't know how to do that, but you can use * like sm* or *mi* & it's case insensitive.

2) When i press delete on a blank cell then all the cells shows filter arrows.

I think you should limit the event to cell D4,E4,F4, otherwise it will be triggered on any cell's change.

Upvote 0
Sorry, don't know how to do that, but you can use * like sm* or *mi* & it's case insensitive.

I tried to experiment a bit myself. Came up with this

Code:
Split("*" & Range("D4") & "*", ",")

but its behaving a bit weird.

Examples

1) Enter a single criteria... no issues. "To" or "on" or "ny"... all is fine for Tony
2) Enter multiple criteria.... Like for Tony & Smith. Then I will have to enter it this way for perfect filter. "ny, Sm". Last part of the 1st criteria & First part of the 2nd criteria. Otherwise it will not filter...

Any idea how to make further changes to make it work in a manner so that it can filter if any part of the name is entered ??

Code:
Split("*" & Range("D4") & "*", ",")

I think you should limit the event to cell D4,E4,F4, otherwise it will be triggered on any cell's change.

Yes i did that.

Code:
[/COLOR]Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("D4, E4, F4")) Is Nothing Then

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

arr1 = Split("*" & Range("D4") & "*", ",")
arr2 = Split(Range("E4"), ",")
arr3 = Split(Range("F4"), ",")

With ActiveSheet.Range("D5:F1000")
    .AutoFilter
    On Error Resume Next
    .AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=arr1, Operator:=xlFilterValues, visibledropdown:=False
    .AutoFilter Field:=2, Criteria1:=arr2, Operator:=xlFilterValues, visibledropdown:=False
    .AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:=arr3, Operator:=xlFilterValues, visibledropdown:=False
    On Error GoTo 0
    End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End If

End Sub

[COLOR=#333333]

But even if i press delete on any of these 3 cells then filter arrow shows on these 3 columns.

Upvote 0
How many criteria are you likely to put in one of those cells?

Upvote 0
Hi Fluff,

How many criteria are you likely to put in one of those cells?

Not sure at this point of time. May be 8 I guess.

Actually as of now I have like 15 different names in there which will grow upto 25 in future I reckon.
So if the code allows me to enter as many as I want then I will also be able to use the filter if I want all the records excluding one or two names - like what we do in filter (does not contain)

Regards,

Humayun

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back