Excel I'm working in 2 different workbooks and matching product codes for my website

Lomanator

Hey Guys and Gals,

I am trying to do a bulk upload of products to my website, the suppliers have sent me the entire product range as a CSV, but I only stock a fraction of the products.
What I want to do is to copy and paste all the information from them in to my workbook which I have exported from my epos system.
Lets say I have 200 products and they have sent me a workbook with 2000, how to I get there list down to the 200 products I have?
Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
John

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
If the products have the same name on both (yours and their) workbooks, you can use VLOOKUP function:
Suppose Column A is filled with your suppliers 2000 products. (Starting from A1)
Column B is filled with yours 200 products. (Starting from B1)
In C1 use this formula and copy down:
Code:
=VLOOKUP(B1,A:A,1,0)

PS: All above columns should be in the same workbook.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for coming back to me, the only thing that is the same is the Supplier product code for instance B9504, can you do a VLOOKUP with a mixture of letters and numbers?

Upvote 0
VLOOKUP Exact match method works with any kind of values as long as they are identical. Just change the cell range accordingly and give it a try.

Upvote 0
Thanks, so i'm looking how to do that and struggling to make it work. Lets Say I have my product code T1802 and B1806 And the suppliers have T1700 to T1900 and also B1800 to B1900, how do I make the formula work to find my products in the suppliers list?
thanks for all your help

Upvote 0
A
B
C
Supplier's product codes
Your product codes
Lookup
T1700
T1802
=VLOOKUP(B3,A:A,1,0)
T1701
B1806
Drag down the above formula.
T1900
B1800
B1801
B1900

<tbody>
</tbody>

Give it a try and let me know if it works.

Upvote 0
OMG its worked, I can now sort the products they have and I have so I can copy and paste all of my product descriptions in to my CSV in 1 hit.
Thanks so much I will eternally grateful
Cheers
John

Upvote 0
Hi guys, so I'm looking at this again and have forgotten how to do it and can't get it to work.
I have say 10 products in my shop and I want to get the descriptions of my suppliers csv file and copy and paste them in to my workbook.
if have added a sheet with my products in to the suppliers workbook, how do I match up the suppliers products so I can literally copy and paste them to match mine?
thanks for your help
Cheers
John

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back