Formula for auto entry based on last cell with value

abeebs

Hello all, this is my first post, so please be patient with how I word, ask my question. I'll try to be clear here so you can see what I am trying to do.

Application:

I work for a construction company and am looking to set up tracking for a specific portion of work we do. This essentially tracks items from start to finish, allows each team member to see progress, and assigns the party currently responsible so that everyone knows the items they need to be working on to push that item through production.

What this excel doc looks like:

Party Currently Responsible Awaiting Information to Draw Drawn Spools Created Spool Reviewed by CAD BOM Released to Order
Alex X X X X
Mike X X

Essentially, it is a task list we are using in excel format, as each step (column) of the process is completed, the responsible party marks an "X" and the party responsible is updated to the person in charge of the next step.

What I want to be able to do:

What I would like to do is have the "party currently responsible" column auto-populate with the person who is responsible for the next blank cell in that row. Is there a formula that can allow the "party currently responsible" column to auto-populate with the person's name who is to complete the task that is next in the row?

Thanks and apologies if this is confusing, I am a bit of an excel newbie. I've used Vlookup, index, and index match before, but I can't make heads or tails of how to combine that with another formula that uses the next blank column to populate my value in the return cell.

Thanks, and when forming replies, please assume that Alex is B1. That will help me better understand how the function works.

Alex

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Hello,

I can help you, but I need some more information. Can you please tell me all the column headers? Also, I need to know the rules for when a person is responsible. For example, if there is an X in Column B then John populates in the Party Currently Responsible column.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back