Checking Numbers Between Columns

Nanaia

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I'm trying to check the first four numbers found in column A and see if they are located anywhere in column O. I've tried VLOOKUP with LEFT but cannot seem to get the it to work. It always results in an #NA error. My goal is; if the first four numbers is not found anywhere in column O, I would like the result of the formula to display the numbers that were not found in column O. i.e. if column A has 1234 as the first four numbers and it is not found anywhere in column O, the result of the formula should display 1234.

This is the formula I've tried
[ =VLOOKUP(VALUE(LEFT(A2,4)),LEFT($O$2:$O$500,4),2,FALSE) ]

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Here is a link of the part of the file I'm working on. If the site will allow me to share it...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7kqjjuw9fvrbsn/P4 PROG.xlsx?dl=0

The end goal is to have every column with the same program file names, focusing on the first four numbers of the file name. I've made column A the master list and as I'm going through the other columns and find a file name not in the master list, I create the program and add the new file name to the master list. What I'm trying to do in the table to the right is compare all other columns/categories against the master list and have it tell me which files need to be created for each category.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
If I understand correctly, try
=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(LEFT(B2,4),LEFT($A$2:$A$1001,4),1,FALSE)),B2,"")

Upvote 0
It's always a delight to try to explain Excel. :eek: ;)
If at first you don't succeed...
Looking at the formula in column X; this compares column A to column H and tells me what files I need to create for category V (the files listed in column H). So I'm looking at column A, and whatever is listed in column A and not in column H I want the formula to tell me by listing at least the first four digits of the file name that's missing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As I do not have the time to go through almost 400 rows of data & manually compare it to other columns of data, can you please explain what is not working & give examples?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinusJE

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back