Automating HMI data transfer between data logging web server to excel spreadsheet

wmcdonald

I'm an engineer at a manufacturing plant who's trying to automate one of our more troublesome processes. We use an HMI system to monitor all industrial process data and export the desired data tags to a logging directory. This web server directory contains a maximum of 30 .csv files, which is constantly syncing with our HMI to store data every 60s - a new date stamped file is generated every other day. My boss created an excel macro worksheet to transfer this data from .csv to an excel tab and graph that data, however this is a manual process... the directory file shortcut is copied from the web browser, the user pastes this .csv link into the excel cell, and the macro will establish an updating connection between the excel worksheet and the new directory file. The problem is that we engineers tend to be sidetracked by other activities, occasionally forgetting to make the trip over to the computer every other day to copy/paste this new link into excel.

I'm looking for a macro that can automate this process...

1. Be able to scan and sync with the directory every 120s to pull the current .csv file and send it to the excel spreadsheet ("Imported Coating Data" Tab)
2. Take the contents of the .csv file and input them into the correct cells (Columns A2:AB2 -> Fill the rows with available time data)
3. Be able to identify and establish a connection with the new date stamped file generated every other day:
- 19020300.csv
- 19020100.csv

I have little to no experience with excel macros unfortunately. If any of you can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Thank you,
Warren

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back