Search and Replace close matches

shophoney

Hi, I'm importing data from our credit card bills. I want to bring the data into our accounting system.

We have an issue when the names are not always the same. IE Shell 1234 and Shell 4354. I would like it to load it to the name Shell. Or Amazon charge of Amazon, Amazon Direct or Amazon Fulfillment. Should all go under Amzon.

But I dont want to change the uploaded data manually each time. And If someone goes to another Shell station #7878 . I want it always post it to Shell.

So I could make a list saying "Amazon" and then ask Excel to look for any names in list A and in list B change the names to match. IE Shell * = Shell, Amazon* = Amazon...

Thanks for your help.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
It sounds as though you are looking at sale point locations; Shell [store#], Amazon [type]....
Do you have a client# (cust#, whatever) that could be used? If not there are so many ways things can get bolloxed up (Amazon of Shellberry; Shell of Amazon Zone).
One option would be to look at values of that field over time and create a tab of those unique values assigning each to the 'name' you want them as - then do a lookup to get that value. This will take manual additions as new ones appear, but in the long run I believe it will be more accurate.

Upvote 0
Sorry, no.

I'm just importing data right off our credit card statement.

Looking to grab all the Amazon charges and variations there of, and just upload them as Amazon.

Thanks

Upvote 0
So, an ETL process (Extract, transform, load).
How do you want to use Excel? There are tools out there as well: Informatica, SQL SSIS, Talend, Alteryx, etc.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flashbond

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back