Line chart does not start at zero (change delta)

hasanlianar

Hi,

I have an interesting case with line charts. There are 4 tables and 4 line charts in linked file. 2 of the charts show 0 point on x axis and the other 2 dont.
I can set the maximum amount of x axis to be zero, but it will not work if numbers are positive.
I know there is a logic behind charts when to show 0 point. If max/delta<6 (where delta is max-min) then chart shows 0 point.
My question is how to ignore this logic in Excel.

https://ufile.io/dg0xd

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
I didn't download your file.

Can't you just format the Y axis of all charts to have a minimum scale of zero?

Alternatively, you could use the approach in my tutorial Consistent Axis Scales Across Multiple Charts, which basically adds a hidden series to your charts with overall min (zero) and max values. This hidden data is present in all charts, therefore all charts use this data to autoscale their axes.

Upvote 0
My case is different. I have a dashboard where the line chart references various tables. If to set minimum to zero the chart will not show values from table which contains negative numbers.

I didn't download your file.

Can't you just format the Y axis of all charts to have a minimum scale of zero?

Alternatively, you could use the approach in my tutorial Consistent Axis Scales Across Multiple Charts, which basically adds a hidden series to your charts with overall min (zero) and max values. This hidden data is present in all charts, therefore all charts use this data to autoscale their axes.

Upvote 0
So follow the Consistent Axis Scales Across Multiple Charts tutorial. In a two-cell range somewhere, compute the minimum of all the data, including zero:

=MIN(0,Range1,Range2,Range3)

and the maximum, and you might as well include zero here for the symmetric case:

=MAX(0,Range1,Range2,Range3)

Add these two cells to any affected chart as Y values in a new series, and format it with no markers and no line so it is not apparent to the viewer.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back