Circular Reference/Iterative Problem

InOverMyH3ad

I am killing myself trying to solve a problem of pennies!

Source 1 is a pricing sheet that has a total at the bottom. We frequently use goal seek to adjust margin to get a desired number.

Accounting 2 is a sheet for accounting that takes numbers from Source 1 and regroups them. The numbers from Accounting 2 should match the total to Source 1.

There is a simple check on sheet two that says Source 1 total price - Accounting 2 total price and has conditional formatting if it doesn't =0

Due to rounding on Accounting 2, I'm running in to scenarios where I can be .01 off. I would like to take whatever the resulting difference is in my check and add it to one of my groups on the Account 2 sheet to make the difference 0. The problem is this creates a circular reference. I started looking in to iterative functionality but the problem is when I perform goal seek on the source sheet, the difference is stored every iteration goal seek does until it reaches the goal number; I just need it to be done at the very end.

Is this possible?

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
If you're willing to accept the .01 difference, why not test for that. IF(ABS(A1-A2)<.02,"OK","Not OK")

My experience with rounding is problematic. I tend to use number formatting to display the rounding during the process. It isn't until I get the final result do I actually round the value to a certain decimal place. You may want to do that so that until your balance test is complete and then round the value.

Jeff

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back