Want to convert a number that looks like time to text.

TomCon

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
I have pasted a value that looks like "3:30" into Excel from the web. This number is actually an elapsed time and stands for 3 minutes and 30 seconds of elapsed time. As a number i would like it to be 3.5 (i.e. "three and a half minutes"). Also have numbers like 12:30, etc. meaning 12 minutes and 30 seconds, or 12.5 minutes.

In the formula bar, you see 3:30 AM when this cell is selected; Excel has interpreted this entry as time.
If you format it as a number, you get 0.146, i.e. the fraction of a day.

I cannot figure out a formula to convert this 3:30 (or 3:30AM, or .146) to the number 3.5. Any ideas?

I thought maybe i could treat it as text, search for the ":", and then divide it into the parts "3" and "30" and convert that way, but using the SEARCH function on this value, ":" is not found, as Excel considers it to be a number, not text.

Note, it is not practical to put an apostrophe before the value as it is a whole table of values (thousands) so that is not practical to do manually.

A formula that could take that 3:30 and convert to 3.5, or 12:40 and convert to 12.67, etc would be appreciated. Thanks!

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back