Lookup based on criteria

hinklewj

Board Regular
Hello - column A is a list of customers. Each customer row has a grand total at the end. The title of that column is "Grand Total". On the next tab I am trying to do a lookup formula that will give me each customers grand total. The Grand Total column number will change each month. I'm assuming the answer is an index/match function but I'm struggling with it.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
SORRY DIDN"T REALIZE THIS WAS AN OLD POST UNTIL I REPLIED

You can do a vlookup from one spreadsheet or tab
On the tab where the lookup values reside, create a total column at the end that adds month by month for each row.

On your vlookup reference, the total column becomes your lookup range.

So (example), if column A contains your customer ID numbers, cells B1-M1 would be each month, and column N would be the total for each customer (simple SUM formula).

if you put customer # in cell A2, your vlookup might look something like this, =VLOOKUP(P8,A:N,14,0)

If you are keep a year after year running history, create separate tabs or workbooks for each year, and keep the summary on a new tab or workbook.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you, but trying to stay away from vlookup as each month we add a new column, thus pushing the total column over by one. I know there's a formula outside of vlookup that will do this...

Upvote 0
Perhaps:

=INDEX(Sheet1!$B$2:$Z$10,MATCH(A13,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10,0),MATCH("Grand Total",Sheet1!$B$1:$Z$1,0))

Where the customer number is in A13 on the current sheet. Set the ranges so that they far exceed where your data is.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back