Code to search for a date in another sheet, then go to that cell

Ironman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I am looking for a custom search macro that does the following:

I enter a date into a custom search box then click search.

Then whichever sheet I am in, the query then only searches Sheet 1 ("Training Log") and makes column H of the row containing that date the active cell.

Hope you can help?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Try this

Code:
Sub search_date()
    Dim wInput As Variant, wDate As Date, s As Worksheet, b As Range
    wInput = InputBox("Enter a date", "SEARCH DATE")
    If wInput = "" Then Exit Sub

If Not IsDate(wInput) Then
        MsgBox "Enter a valid date:", vbExclamation
    Else
        wDate = CDate(wInput)
        Set s = Sheets("Training Log")
        Set b = s.Cells.Find(wDate, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
        If Not b Is Nothing Then
            s.Select
            b.Select
            MsgBox "I got it"
        Else
            MsgBox "Date does not exist"
        End If
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Hi Dante, many thanks for your assistance. I tried your code with the same date used before (and a couple of others too) and they all return "Date does not exist" (but I know it does!)

Does it matter which sheet the code is entered into? I tried yours in This Workbook and igold I tried yours in This Workbook and Analysis sheet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From a good form point of view, all code that we are using here should really be in a code module. That said, the errors we are getting is not a function of where the code is located.

Upvote 0
Ah right, that's very informative. My major crime is I'm self taught so I stumble a lot but I learn the best stuff from guys like you.

Upvote 0
I just tried searching for the date 1/1/2019, and it found the cell with your custom format: Tue, 1 Jan 2019. That said I am not quite sure why it is not working for you..

Upvote 0
I just don't know what's wrong - I just tried your date/format and it returned "Date does not exist".

When I do the search I am doing it from the Analysis sheet. Is this what you did?

Upvote 0
From a good form point of view, all code that we are using here should really be in a code module. That said, the errors we are getting is not a function of where the code is located.

I take this back. I moved the code to a worksheet module and got a date not found. I ran it from the code module and it worked.

I am self taught as well, so now I am confused also. I did not think it would make a difference. You might want to try copying the code to a code module. You can create a code module by going to Insert-> Module, in the VB editor.

Upvote 0
Hmm! I just inserted a new module and pasted your code in. I ran the search (which I assigned to a button) with 1/1/2019 and it still returns Date does not Exist :(

Upvote 0
The dates in the training log are in the format
ddd, d mmm yyyy...
that may have something to do with it !

Upvote 0
Where ever your button is, on that sheet, if your button is CommandButton1 then try to call the code from that sheet. I put a button on a worksheet. In the worksheet module, I have this:

Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Call test
End Sub

I have the "test" code in a code module.

I had copied the code to the above Button click event on the worksheet and it did not work. When I changed to the above it did work. I am pretty flumoxed at this point. As far I was concerned this should have been an easy do. I am sorry that this has become so drawn out...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back