Weight Loss Spreadsheet: Tracking new Weight Loss Records

slam

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Hi wonderful people,

I'm working on a spreadsheet for a weight loss program where a participant receives a financial reward for every full pound of weight they lose. Not sure if that title is exactly what I'm looking for, but it was a struggle to describe it in a few short words.

I am tracking their current weight in cell B2 and downward with weekly weigh in's. In column E, I am trying to track their weight loss that results in a reward, but am struggling with how to automate this.

For instance, if a participant started at 250.0 (B2) and weighed 249.1 (B3) a week later, they would get no reward because they lost 0.9 (E3) and they have to lose 1.0 to get the reward. Let's say the week after, they are 249.0 (B4), they would then get a reward because they lost a full 1.0 (E4).

So far, reasonably simple. The week after that, let's say their weight returned to 250 (B5), obviously no reward again. The next week though, they've dropped back to 249 (B6), but they can't get a reward for a pound of weight they already were rewarded for.

Essentially, what I'm getting at is it needs to count only weight loss that is a new full pound of weight loss from the original amount. i.e. in my example, the participant started at x.0 so all payouts for this participant would only happen when they hit x.0. Unless this criteria was met, I would want a - displayed; if they gained, -, if they only lost 0.9, -, no change, 0.

For the first instance of the formula (E3), I am using this formula:

=IF(B2-B3>=1,ROUND(B2-B3),"-")

However, I don't know how to take it further in terms of avoiding repeat weight loss etc. Maybe I need a helper column too?

Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Might have figured out something myself!

From cell E5 and down, I can drag this formula down through the remainder of the column:

=if(B$2-B5-(SUM(E$3:E4))>=1,ROUND(B$2-B5-(SUM(E$3:E4))),"-")

Small tweaks for E3 & E4

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back