Move rows to sheet based if row contains certain string value

aaelex

Hi all

Wondering if you could help. I have seen other older threads here but couldn't get them to work for me.

I have a bank statement I am importing via CSV into Excel.

Example data (Sheet 1) is in the following format:

DateDescriptionAmountBalance

<colgroup><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
20190201CREDIT INTEREST

<colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2346;width:55pt" width="73"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:17109;width:401pt" width="535"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2730;width:64pt" width="85"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2858;width:67pt" width="89"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
<style>table { }td { padding-top: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-left: 1px; color: black; font-size: 12pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; }</style>
20190201TRANSACTION CHARGE SEE CHARGE STATEMENT DETAIL

<colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2346;width:55pt" width="73"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:17109;width:401pt" width="535"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2730;width:64pt" width="85"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2858;width:67pt" width="89"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
<style>table { }td { padding-top: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-left: 1px; color: black; font-size: 12pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; }</style>
I want to move/organise the data into seperate sheets based on the description value above.
E.g If cell contains "INTEREST" move to a sheet called INTEREST.
E.g. If cell contacts TRANSACTION CHARGE move to a sheet called TRANSACTION CHARGE etc.

I want it to delete the source row after it has run. So move and not copy.

There are quite a few checks I want to do on the statement and sort into respective sheets (INTEREST, TRANSACTION CHARGE ...etc)

Thank you so much for your time in advance!

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Possible with a For...Next loop

Code:
With Workbooks(REF).Sheets(REF)

LRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
For i = 2 To LRow
    c = .Cells(i, "B").Value     
    If c Like "*INTEREST*" Then
        DestLRow = Workbooks(REF).Sheets("INTEREST").Cells(Workbooks(REF).Sheets("INTEREST").Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1
        Workbooks(REF).Sheets("INTEREST").Rows(DestLRow).Value = .Rows(i).Value
        .Rows(i).EntireRow.Delete
        i = i -1
        LRow = LRow - 1
    ElseIf c Like "*TRANSACTION CHARGE*" Then
        DestLRow = Workbooks(REF).Sheets("TRANSACTION CHARGE").Cells(Workbooks(REF).Sheets("TRANSACTION CHARGE").Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1
        Workbooks(REF).Sheets("TRANSACTION CHARGE").Rows(DestLRow).Value = .Rows(i).Value
        i = i -1
        LRow = LRow - 1
    ElseIf '...and so on
         'etc.
    End If
Next i

End With

Alternatively you could use Find() to loop through the sheet quicker, but I reckon you want to go through all cells.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Possible with a For...Next loop

Alternatively you could use Find() to loop through the sheet quicker, but I reckon you want to go through all cells.

Thank you for this!

I created a sub and pasted the code however I an error "Sub-script out of range".

Please excuse my lack of experience!

Upvote 0
Would it be simple enough to add a line of code to create the sheets (INTEREST, TRANSACTION CHARGE) etc in the macro if those strings are found rather than assume they are pre-existing?

Upvote 0
Code:
Dim AddedInterest as Boolean
Dim Added[COLOR=#333333]Transaction as Boolean
'Dim other variables

[/COLOR]If c Like "*INTEREST*" Then
        If AddedInterest = False Then
            Workbooks(REF).Sheets.Add(after:=Workbooks(REF).Sheets(Workbooks(REF).Sheets.Count)).Name = "INTEREST"
            AddedInterest = True
        End If
        DestLRow = Workbooks(REF).Sheets("INTEREST").Cells(Workbooks(REF).Sheets("INTEREST").Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1
        Workbooks(REF).Sheets("INTEREST").Rows(DestLRow).Value = .Rows(i).Value
        i = i -1 
        LRow = LRow - 1
ElseIf...

The first time you encounter a certain string, it adds a sheet and sets a variable to True. The second time it encounters this string, it won't add another sheet because the variable is no longer set to False.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this I modified it to my needs and it works great!

Could you help me with the line of code to :

1) Colour a row based on a certain search value e.g. "If c Like "*INTEREST*" Then"
2) Make a copy of the original sheet with a certain name
2) Rename the original sheet to a certain name

Many thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hengshankouniuniu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back