how to change the default sort order and file open dialogue box of Microsoft Excel 2010

wormaji

I have a computer program that frequently creates new files in a given directory. I then have to open the latest file in Microsoft Excel in that directory and work on it.

Whenever I do Ctrl+O and bring up the file open dialogue box, it brings up the list of files in the given directory with the oldest file at the top. That means I have to scroll all the way to the bottom to determine the newest file, and then open it.

I was able to change this behaviour in Microsoft Outlook where have the same requirement by doing control-click on the file open dialog box after making it sought in the descending order with the newest file at top. This was done by following the steps https://superuser.com/questions/495...rder-on-windows-explorer-and-the-file-dialogs.

However, this is not working for Microsoft Excel 2010. It did work for Microsoft Outlook 2010.So it is puzzling why did not work for Microsoft Excel 2010. I can anyone please provide a solution or some way to troubleshoot this? 'm using Windows 7 ultimate.Thank you for any inputs

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Clicking on Date Modified header toggles sort between ascending \ descending

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Yongle. Thank you for your response. It looks like I did not properly framed the question. Sorry for that. I was looking for a solution where when I bring up the file dialogue box, the files are already sorted in the descending order of date modified. At present, it is bringing up the files in the ascending order of date modified. Even after I click on date modified header and and then toggle it to descending and then close the dialog box using a ctrl - mouse click on x at the top right hand corner, I still get the files sorted in ascending order of date when I get a new file dialogue box again.

So the question is how to get a file dialog box where the files are sorted in descending order of date modified by default in MS Excel 2010
Thank you for any inputs

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back