Avoid workbook recalculation (?) when copying & pasting.

siamond

I use Microsoft Excel 2011 on a MacBook Pro.

I have a large workbook with hundreds of thousands of values & related formulas in a handful of tabs referencing each other. Working in manual mode is very helpful. When I hit 'recalculating', it usually takes a few seconds, but not a very long time by any mean.

It all works fine except when doing some basic copying and pasting operations (more precisely the latter). Excel often goes in a loooong loop (several minutes) with the dreaded colorful spinning disk being displayed. It even happens when I copy a single cell which only contains a text string to an empty cell in another tab. I suspect it recalculates the entire workbook, each and every cell, but I am not certain.

I found a thread suggesting to disable the recalculation before saving option, which I did. This seems to work much better, but then I quit Excel, re-opened it (option is still disabled) and I have the issue again. I actually had a similar behavior with other heavy-duty spreadsheets, works fine for a while, then the dreaded spinning disk appears again...

Anybody having a clue about how to avoid this very frustrating delay when pasting?

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back