simple "AND" issue

sassriverrat

Good Afternoon,

I'm having an issue- I think I've coded "AND" wrong.
Right now, with today's date and time, the sheet is kicking a "No" when it should be "Yes" and changing the computer date to December (to see if it says "Yes") doesn't change away from "No" so I figure my use of "AND" was wrong. Thanks for the help!

This is designed to provide a "Yes" or a "No" to state if daylight savings is in effect or not.
Notes!L13 is the date of daylight savings start (March 10, 2019)
Notes!M13 is 2:00 AM
Notes!L14 is the date of daylight savings end (November 3, 2019)
Notes!M14 is 2:00 AM
C5 is today's date
D5 is the current time

The cells in Notes automatically update annually.

Code:
=IF(AND((NOTES!L13+NOTES!M13)<((C5+D5)),(NOTES!L14+NOTES!M14)>((C5+D5))),"YES","NO")[\code]

I'm sorry. First, you were talking about time entered as 12:34, not 1234. And in that case, you are correct: the formula is wrong. In both cases, "<=0" should be "< 1". Klunk!

well earlier I put in "1500" and it popped out 15:00 but then later I put in "1000" and it popped 00:01 back out... I can't figure out why.

As for the military to time functions I have (which I had forgotten about), they are designed to do the same thing that yours does, and I'm not sure if there is an instance in which they might work with a time input where yours might now- so kudos to being good! They were designed to handle just about any method of writing a time into a cell that I could think of so at to mitigate the risk of a user producing an error in the sheet. I have one user that is particularly fantastic at screwing up excel sheets so this seemed to solve that.

As for the original problem, I miss the fact that K13 and L13 on the Notes sheet were merged....but the K column had been reduced in size and I didn't notice it so naturally when the formula looked for a date in L13, it wasn't reading the date in the cell but instead reverted to a 1/1/1900 date which obviously through my whole formula off....just changing L13 to K13 in my formulas fixed all of the problems!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
I put in "1000" and it popped 00:01 back out... I can't figure out why.

I presume that you entered the numbers without quotes. When I enter 1000, both formulas convert it to 10:00 when the time format is hh:mm .

If you can duplicate the 00:01 result, I suggest that you upload an Excel file (redacted) that demonstrates (just) that problem to a file-sharing website, and post the public/share URL here. First, test the download URL, being careful to log out of the file-sharing website in order to verify that the URL can be accessed anonymously. If you don't have a favorite file-sharing website, I like box.net/files. But ignore any preview errors when you try to download.

BTW, be sure to enter midnight as 0000 or 00:00, not 2400 or 24:00.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back