macro to run array formula

kelvin_9

Office Version
  1. 2019
hi all,
i have my formula in cell original, but i want to change and run in macro now. unfortunately it exceeds over 255 limitation of array formula in macro.
(=IF(INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A51,schedule!$A:$A,0))="","",TEXT(MIN(IFERROR(TIMEVALUE(LEFT(INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A51,schedule!$A:$A,0)):INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A52,schedule!$A:$A,0)-1),5)),1)),"hh:mm")&" - "&TEXT(MAX(IFERROR(TIMEVALUE(MID(INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A51,schedule!$A:$A,0)):INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A52,schedule!$A:$A,0)-1),7,5)),0)),"hh:mm")))
how can i do it with a macro? or any other way that i can spilt my original one to 2 formulas and then still run in macro?

my request: xx:xx - xx:xx on time format, start & end time only
NameTimeoutcome
Ada13:00-22:4513:00 - 22:45
Ted13:15-15:0013:15 - 22:45
15:00-21:15
21:15-22:00
22:00-22:45
Kathy9:00-12:1509:00 - 18:30
12:15-18:30

<tbody>
</tbody>

thanks for doing this
kelvin

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Hi kelvin

The rule for spliting the array formula is to make sure that you respect the formula syntax.

If I understand correctly you formula has the form:

=IF(INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A51,schedule!$A:$A,0))="","",TEXT(Expression1)&" - "&TEXT(Expression2))

You can use a similar formula that respects the formula syntax, like for ex.:

=IF(INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A51,schedule!$A:$A,0))="","",11111&" - "&22222)

This is a formula that you can insert in a cell and that is accepted as a valid formula.

You can then replace the 11111 and the 22222 by your respective expressions.

Remark:

You can also look here:

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/687125-long-array-formulas-vba.html

especially posts #2 and #4

Upvote 0
thanks PGC

Sub Test()
Dim rDate As Range, rDest As Range
Set rDate = Range("INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A71,schedule!$A:$A,0))=""")
Set rDest = Range("a2")

rDest.FormulaArray = "=IF(1111,"",TEXT(MIN(IFERROR(TIMEVALUE(LEFT(2222:INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A72,schedule!$A:$A,0)-1),5)),1)),"hh:mm")&" - "&TEXT(MAX(IFERROR(TIMEVALUE(MID(3333:INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A72,schedule!$A:$A,0)-1),7,5)),0)),"hh:mm"))"
rDest.Replace "1111", "(" & rDate.Address & ")", LookAt:=xlPart
rDest.Replace "2222", "(" & rDate.Address & ")", LookAt:=xlPart
End Sub

looks like this? seems have some error even not yet run

Last edited:
Upvote 0
HI

As I said you have to use and intermediate formula that respects the formula syntax.
You used

1111:INDEX()

which is not a valid syntax. Also inside a double quoted string you have to double up the double quotes

If you have

="abc"&"cde"

you must use:

s = "=""abc""&""cde"""

The code you posted doesn't respect neither the formula syntax not the vba building of strings.

Like I posted, if I understood correctly, your formula is similar to:

=IF(INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A51,schedule!$A:$A,0))="","",1111&" - "&2222))

where 1111 stands for your first Text() expression

1111: TEXT(MIN(IFERROR(TIMEVALUE(LEFT(INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A51,schedule!$A:$A,0)):INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A52,schedule!$A:$A,0)-1),5)),1)),"hh:mm")

and 2222 stands for your second Text() expression

2222: TEXT(MAX(IFERROR(TIMEVALUE(MID(INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A51,schedule!$A:$A,0)):INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A52,schedule!$A:$A,0)-1),7,5)),0)),"hh:mm")

I'd use this to insert your formula, like:

Code:
Sub Test()
Dim rDate As Range, rDest As Range
Dim sText1 As String, sText2 As String

Set rDate = Range("a1")
Set rDest = Range("a2")

sText1 = "TEXT(MIN(IFERROR(TIMEVALUE(LEFT(INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A51,schedule!$A:$A,0)):INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A52,schedule!$A:$A,0)-1),5)),1)),""hh:mm"")"
sText2 = "TEXT(MAX(IFERROR(TIMEVALUE(MID(INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A51,schedule!$A:$A,0)):INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A52,schedule!$A:$A,0)-1),7,5)),0)),""hh:mm"")"

rDest.FormulaArray = "=IF(INDEX(schedule!$C:$C,MATCH(result!$A51,schedule!$A:$A,0))="""","""",1111&""-""&2222)"
rDest.Replace "1111", sText1, LookAt:=xlPart
rDest.Replace "2222", sText2, LookAt:=xlPart

End Sub

Write a date in A1 and run this code. See if the formula in A2 is what you expect.

Upvote 0
i must apologize and thank you what you did for me
THANK YOU PGC!
:LOL:

another if i want to autofill, where should i put this?
Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("b2:b" & Range("a" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)

Upvote 0
I'm glad it helped.

As for the AutoFill, assuming you have a formula in B2 and you want to fill down until the last populated row in column A, you can use:

Code:
Range("B2").AutoFill Destination:=Range("b2:b" & Range("a" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)

If you have a formula in B2 and the last populated cell in column A is A10, you'll get the formula in B2:B10.

Upvote 0
I'm glad it helped.

As for the AutoFill, assuming you have a formula in B2 and you want to fill down until the last populated row in column A, you can use:

Code:
Range("B2").AutoFill Destination:=Range("b2:b" & Range("a" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)

If you have a formula in B2 and the last populated cell in column A is A10, you'll get the formula in B2:B10.

life saver, IT IS PREFECT
thanks again PGC

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back