IF statement conflicting with Validation Settings

DPChristman

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a shared spreadsheet that I am trying to eliminate laziness in on the part of my users.

Column B contains a case number, and column S contains a position (validated lookup of 10 options including Other and blank)

My issue is that users are failing to fill in the position of the person on the case line.

It occurred to me that the simplest solution is an IF statement.

Basically, IF column B (example, row 1) has a number in it, the position field will show the word Other, and be highlighted until it is filled in with one of the other accepted values.

So the formula would be something like if( B1>0,"Other","" ) or if( B1>"","","Other" )

It seems pretty simple, but every time I try to create it, I get this pop-up message the value you entered is not valid. a user has restricted values that can be entered into this cell". I have cleared the validation settings and reset them to allow for all 10 possible positions listed, and I sill get this message.

What am I missing?

Ideally, I would like to prevent the spreadsheet from being saved of the position cell is not filled out, but I am not sure how to do that. The spreadsheet will always have hundreds of unused lines for case entries that will have that cell empty.

Any Ideas?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Hi there. If its OK to use macros, you could have a worksheet change event that if a column B cell is changed sets the same row column S to the value "Other". Add conditional formatting to the cell for highlighting. You could also have a workbook beforesave routine that looked down column S for any "Other" values and a msgbox telling the user to complete it/them.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back