Help with formula for combo box (maybe)

Jwilts

I have a list of names in a column.... then I have 6 columns with different disciplines.....

people take part in a certain number of disciplines, I want to be able to make a combo box that will include all people that are participating in one discipline (1 column) and place their last name in the list (can do it by numbers, ie placing a 1 in the column they are participating in and a one comes back not a name).... but I need the name of the person to come back

Does anyone have any idea if this can be done/
thanks, Janet

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Hello, I have figured out a way to answer this. I'm assuming you have a list with Names in column A, then Disciplines in columns A to G. I'm not sure if you will ever have duplicate names, but this formula doesn't work if there are duplicate names.

Example Data

NameD1D2D3D4D5D6
Name11
Name2111
Name31
Name411

<tbody>
</tbody>

Next, make a table to show a list of who is participating in each Discipline and enter the formulas I wrote below. You must press Ctrl+Shift+Enter because the formula is an array. Then you can double click to drop the formula down. You will get a table with a list of names under each discipline. You can see that the only thing that changes in the formula is the column to look at.

D1D2D3D4D5D6
I2J2K2L2M2N2

<tbody>
</tbody>

I2=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$5,SMALL(IF($B$2:$B$5=1,ROW($A$2:$A$5)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS($A$2:$A2))),"")
J2=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$5,SMALL(IF($C$2:$C$5=1,ROW($A$2:$A$5)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS($A$2:$A2))),"")
K2=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$5,SMALL(IF($D$2:$D$5=1,ROW($A$2:$A$5)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS($A$2:$A2))),"")
L2=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$5,SMALL(IF($E$2:$E$5=1,ROW($A$2:$A$5)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS($A$2:$A2))),"")
M2=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$5,SMALL(IF($F$2:$F$5=1,ROW($A$2:$A$5)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS($A$2:$A2))),"")
N2=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$5,SMALL(IF($G$2:$G$5=1,ROW($A$2:$A$5)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS($A$2:$A2))),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
test111

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back