Excel as database question

njbeancounter

Board Regular
I download an entire trial balance from our accounting software into excel. I then map out each account to create a balance sheet. Works like a charm...

However, I need to re-download a month that was corrected in the accounting software. While I can manually delete the rows and paste the new data, I obviously want to do it better.

I tried using Microsoft BI, but it slowed my PC to a crawl.

I started reading about using excel as a database management tool, but I haven't found how to easily update existing info with new info.

If someone can point me in a direction...I would appreciate it...

ty

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Depends on what you mean by "updating existing info".

If it will be a 'one time thing' perhaps just a copy / paste to the right area of the correct sheet.
If you are speaking in terms of doing a search for a term, locating that term and all the data attached to it which is populated to a row on
a worksheet ... perhaps a more involved approach using VBA macros would be in order.

???

Upvote 0
Any thoughts/possibility of actually using a "database" program, like Access, instead of Excel?
As you have discovered, you can use Excel as a database, but it doesn't necessarily work all that well, since Excel isn't really a database program.

Upvote 0
Joe,
I thought about using access, but i have limited experience there...I am on the fence about the time needed to get get up to speed with access vs some type of cut and paste two or three times a month...

Upvote 0
You are right, in order to design a well-working Access database, it would take some time to get up-to-speed, not just on Access, but on Relational Database Design (especially the Rules of Normalization).
But if performance is a major concern, it may be something to look into. Perhaps enlist the help of an Access consultant to help you set it up?
Like wise, you may be able to enlist an experienced Excel consultant to help you make your Excel "database" more efficient.
Just something to keep in mind.

If you want to try to do it yourself, that is fine, but I think you are going to need to provide more specific details in your questions (generic questions usually can only lead to generic replies, which may not help you that much).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hear ya...on all points...

For now, I think forging ahead and tweaking as I go is the plan...the whole "re-downloading of data" might not be as much of an issue as the time it may take to automate the task...

thanks...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertJones1986

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back