combining texts (many many cells) in a smart way

sejun87

Hello,
I’m having a difficult time creating a function that allows me to combine texts.

3698697981_0QurnL4w_excel.jpg

Suppose I have a data set as shown in “data set” and would like to know if a sentence includes that specific text.
I successfully made a set of functions including find/lookup/iferror which provides values shown in data set if and only if that text is found in a sentence and provides nothing if it doesn’t.

Then here’s the real issue,
I want to make an outcome as shown in “desired output” which divides all the values obtained with “|”. If there is not value, we want to omit this step so that I can avoid myself from seeing something like “280|270|” or “280||”

Two questions I guess
1) Is there a way to make this happen (A function that skips this process if the cell is “”)? I can make the function outcome anyway I want so any modification is possible (e.g. from “” to 0 or -1 in case the text is not found in a sentence)
2) This is a bigger issue. While my example seems quite simple, the real data set contains ~4000 inputs(such as math and science as shown in the example). I cannot possibly type =C11&”|”&D11&”|”…. For 4000 times, so was wondering if there is a way to simplify this process. (such as from “=A1+A2+A3…+A100” to “sum(A1:A100)” I thought of concatenate as well, but it does not solve this issue.

Thank you! I always receive great feedback and guidance here and always appreciate.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Re: combining texts (many many cells) in a smart way. Guidance needed!

If you have excel 2016 the textjoin function might do this -- I'm not certain because I don't have it.

I use the Nutilities addin for this myself. If you have excel 2007 and up, you can use it too -- it's free.

It can be downloaded here: http://www.iwishexcel.com/

Once you have it installed, the below link has a video on now it works:
http://www.iwishexcel.com/custom-formulas/delimiter/

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back