How to change the width of Ribbon Bar sections - specifically for changing the width of the Table Name field?

gothic chicken

When an Excel Table is selected, the Table Tools tab appears on the Ribbon Bar.
The first section of this ribbon is Properties and includes a field called "Table Name:" (This is "Change Table Name" in the "Customize the Ribbon" Excel Option).
... as in the top left corner of this screenshot:

exceltable08.png

This field is very short, about 12 characters: is there some way of lengthening it? Perhaps by some method of making the Properties section wider?
Adding it to the Quick Access Toolbar does not help.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Not quite a solution but a way to see the full name is to check the name box [where you have A3 displayed just under table property] as there you can widen the width of the name box by dragging the 3 little verticals dots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply sunnyland,
For some reason, I can't load pictures in this post like I did for my question, but the URLs appear to be working links to the relevant photos.

Your suggestion only works if you select a name from the name box and see which table it selects. It doesn't show which table is selected.
Capture.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9yef76zjpc8w5rk/Capture.JPG?dl=0

You can't change the table name here either; if you try to, it simply creates a Named Range for the same range of cells.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnj6egga5uqvpf5/Capture2.JPG?dl=0

... Ah! I've never noticed this, but if you select the table's entire data range (but not the header), the table name will appear in the Name Box! :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iiy5se1wzr941cb/Capture3.JPG?dl=0

Still not the answer I'm after, but that technique does help identify a table more easily, so thanks for your reply!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back