Unique incremental numbering formula

Jon3sy

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
I have a spreadsheet that has a tab with sections and within each section there will be tasks added – each task item requires a unique number and must increment to the next available number within a specified number range based on a Work type.

The first 2 parts of the number are based on two fields concatenated from somewhere else on another tab in the spreadsheet. The number format is XXX.X-XXXX.XXX – it is this last sequence of numbers that must increment.

So hopefully I can explain this so it makes sense - if work type in cell $I$9 = “Operations” – the incremental part of the number must begin within the range of 001-199, if = “Steaming” – the incremental number must begin within the range of 200-399, if = “General” – the incremental number must begin within the range of 400-599, if = “Projects” – the incremental number must begin within the range of 600-699.

So formula needs to start something like if($E$1 = “”,””,$I$1&”.”&$E$1&”.” then I get lost from here…

Section 1
Tag #
XXX.X-XXXX.001
XXX.X-XXXX.002
XXX.X-XXXX.003

Section 2
Tag #
XXX.X-XXXX.200
XXX.X-XXXX.201
XXX.X-XXXX.202

Section 3
Tag #
XXX.X-XXXX.400
XXX.X-XXXX.401
XXX.X-XXXX.402

And so on - if we can start with that and see what any of you masters can come up with will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Hello,

Just for consistency purposes ...

Does Section 4 requires 600 ...???

Upvote 0
Hello again,

With the first header Section 1 located in cell A2 ... in order to get the correct number of Hundreds ... you can test in cell B2, the following array formula

Code:
=IF(A2="","",(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(INDEX(INDIRECT("A"&MAX(IF($A$1:A2="",ROW($A$1:A2)))):A2,MATCH("Section"&"*",INDIRECT("A"&MAX(IF($A$1:A2="",ROW($A$1:A2)))):A2,0)),"Section ",""))-1)*2)

Hope this will get you going ...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back