Counting Text String Less Than

Newbienew

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I am looking for a formula that will allow me to count text less than 2 and exclude blank spacing. So if it is one letter it would be wrong and if its one letter with a space it will still be counted as wrong. 2 Characters is the min. Please help

One way:

=COUNT(SEARCH(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("A1:A"&LEN(A1))),1),"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"))>1

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
It would seem that the conditional formatting come faster than expected. I attempted to use the code in a column but it did not workout. What can I do for this to work in a column aspect.
@Phuoc Thank you very much for your added formula. I find it fascinating there are so many ways to achieve one goal on Excel.

Upvote 0
It would seem that the conditional formatting come faster than expected. I attempted to use the code in a column but it did not workout. What can I do for this to work in a column aspect.
@Phuoc Thank you very much for your added formula. I find it fascinating there are so many ways to achieve one goal on Excel.

My formula (Message#7) works fine and it is for a column, so I am not sure why you are having problems with it. Can you describe the range you are trying to apply it to, show me the formula you are attempting to use and tells us the exact error number and error message you are getting?

Upvote 0
=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(f1,ROW(INDIRECT("f$1:f"&LEN(f1))),1),"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz")))>1

and $F:$F

For the condition formatting

Upvote 0
=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(f1,ROW(INDIRECT("f$1:f"&LEN(f1))),1),"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz")))>1

and $F:$F

For the condition formatting
You want the Conditional Formatting to highlight the cell when there is only one letter in it, correct? If so, then I think the ">1" at the end of the formula needs to be changed to "=1".

Upvote 0
Awesoommmmmee, I'd have no clue that would make a world of difference. Thank you yet again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back