Counting Text String Less Than

Newbienew

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I am looking for a formula that will allow me to count text less than 2 and exclude blank spacing. So if it is one letter it would be wrong and if its one letter with a space it will still be counted as wrong. 2 Characters is the min. Please help

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
=IF(LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))=1,"Wrong", "OK")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your thread title seems to conflict with the statement "2 Characters is the min", but assuming you want at least two characters other than spaces this will return TRUE if it meets that criterion and FALSE if not.

Code:
=AND(ISTEXT(A1),IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(" ",A1)),LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))>1),LEN(A1)>1)

Upvote 0
I am looking for a formula that will allow me to count text less than 2 and exclude blank spacing. So if it is one letter it would be wrong and if its one letter with a space it will still be counted as wrong. 2 Characters is the min. Please help
Your requirement statement is a little fuzzy on details. Are you looking only for letters? What about just a letter and a digit? What about just two digits? What about punctuation marks only (?? for example)? Can you tighten up your description just a little bit more for us?

Upvote 0
@footoo Thank you for the formula, will try it out.
@JoeMo I see your point, apologies, I will attempted your method as well.
@Rick Rothstein You make a very valid point, apologies, I am realizing how descriptive I have to be.
I am only looking for letters only
No numbers or punctuation marks
Just anything less than 2 letters and if a there is 1 letter and a space is what I am looking to capture

Please let me know if this was better as i would like to articulate better as I see me asking for help a lot in my newly redesign position. Thank You

Upvote 0
I am only looking for letters only
No numbers or punctuation marks
Just anything less than 2 letters and if a there is 1 letter and a space is what I am looking to capture
Should we raise an error if a there are, say, 2 letters plus a digit or should the non-letters simply be ignored?

Upvote 0
Should we raise an error if a there are, say, 2 letters plus a digit or should the non-letters simply be ignored?
Assuming the latter, give this formula a try...

=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("A$1:A"&LEN(A1))),1),"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz")))>1

Upvote 0
This is a very indepth formula, it works very well. Is there a way to possible apply this to a conditional format in the near future.
I think this formula would definitly mitigate several errors

Thank you so much,

Upvote 0
This is a very indepth formula, it works very well. Is there a way to possible apply this to a conditional format in the near future.
I think this formula would definitly mitigate several errors
My formula works as a Conditional Formatting formula as is provided cell A1 is the active cell for the selection you are applying the Conditional Formatting to (if not, update the various A1 cells references maintaining the $ sign where shown).

Upvote 0
@Rick Rothstein Thank you so much. You have help me on quite a few of my other posted questions you are phenomenal. Truly wish I was as knowledgeable as you are with Excel. I am thankful for the site and those that lend aid. If you just so happen to come across any of my other posting would enjoy your input as well as how to better explain what I am trying to do. Your questions really got thinking. Thanks again
@JoeMo Thank you for you assistance. I will do better at making my titles more precise or clearer on the subject. I am learning a lot from here and didn't realize that there is more ways to make something with a formula on excel
@footoo I am appreciative of your help looking to use your formula on a person home project of mine

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webster33

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back