More Horizontal Axis Labels

RedMan7

Hello All,

I hope you can help me. I have a graph, and I have dates as the axis labels (horizontal axis) - I am struggling to find a way to add more axis labels (more dates) along the horizontal axis. Do you have any advice on how to do this?

Do you have any further tips to format the graph I have? based on the fact that it is a date-contingent graph?

Thank you!

Here is the picture
https://unsee.cc/149cff37/

149cff37

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Have you tried turning on Minor Type tickmarks in the Axis Formatting, Tick Marks section? It always irritates me that you need to do this even after defining your minor tickmark settings under Axis Options.

NB I'm using Excel 2016/365. Charting was changed massively between 2010 and 2013, so if you're on an earlier version, this may not work anyway!

Good luck :)

Upvote 0
Claire,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not talking about the tickmarks, I'm talking about the Labels themselves - I can't find an option to add more frequent labels - i.e. a label for every tickmark. Do you know how to do this?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
If you actually look at the image I posted, the major and minor tickmarks are already turned on

Upvote 0
Sorry, I was working on a dummy file of mine and thought I was labelling minor tickmarks, but evidently I wasn't.

You might be able to do it if you create a dummy data range with the dates you want to use as labels, then a small value e.g. 1 beside each. Plot this as a second series, as an X-Y scatter chart. Then show data labels.

A couple of examples:
https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/498453-chart-minor-gridlines.html
https://www.excelforum.com/excel-charting-and-pivots/840693-minor-tick-mark-labels-in-charts.html

Good luck!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm really glad you were able to get it sorted, and happy that I was able to point you in the right direction. I have made a suggestion on your new thread too. ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DumbFinanceBro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back