Cell doesn't accept formula

KerryFSA

Occasionally, I will try to enter a formula to a cell but the cell interprets the typing as text.
E.G. I type "= B1 + 2" into A1.
Rather than the result of the calculation appearing in the A1 cell, "= B1 + 2" shows in the cell.
Why does this happen, please.

Thank you.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Re: Cell doesn't accpt formula

Hi

Clear the range

Is bugs excel 2016 exception!
When I copied the formula on the sheet from a forum

Upvote 0

Occasionally, I will try to enter a formula to a cell but the cell interprets the typing as text.
E.G. I type "= B1 + 2" into A1.
Rather than the result of the calculation appearing in the A1 cell, "= B1 + 2" shows in the cell.
Why does this happen, please.

Thank you.

I'm assuming that is because of the quotes
try just
Code:
=B1+2

Otherwise its because that cell is formatted differently
highlight your cells and go to Home > Clear > Clear Formats or format them the way you wish

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The quotes were just to show the entry in my description above. Not used in actual sheet

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KerryFSA,
What value is in Cell B1? Is the cell you are putting the calculation in formatted to be the same as what is in cell B1?
Computerman

Upvote 0

The quotes were just to show the entry in my description above. Not used in actual sheet

ah i see, try using code tags when posting to avoid confusion
have you tried clearing the contents of your worksheet? perhaps try opening a new workbook?
I can't replicate the problem unless i enter show formulas mode

You may have inadvertently activated the show formulas mode by clicking the corresponding button on the ribbon, or pressing the CTRL+` shortcut. To get the calculated results back, just toggle off the Show Formulas button or press CTRL+` again.

or maybe you have those specific cells formatted as text which they will display as text

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Please check the format of the cell where the formula is. A format of text will not calculate formulas. Make sure the format is General or something other than Text. (refresh formula after changing format)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thank you all for your ideas.I got around the problem by finding a cell that accepted the formula and then dragged it over to where I wanted it.
FYI: all I was doing in this instance was transfer the value of a text cell over to a secondary location on the spreadsheet. It may have been an issue of formatting as has been suggested. I also run into the problem in using the NOW() function, but that works strangely for me at times anyway. Thanks again.
i will try your suggestions the next time I run into the issue.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back