Protecting XML workbook formulas, but allowing filter sorting

rick52768

Newbie at best on anything really deep in the Excel world. Basic skills, watched a few YouTube videos.

A separate application requires the use of XML mapping to function. This is something that cannot be changed. I have created a XML workbook that makes use of VLOOKUP and some calculation formulas and data validation drop down lists. Mainly, this was done to make the the task of data entry a little easier and keep the known data from getting corrupt. There are many personnel that have to make use of the XML spreadsheet and it quickly becomes a mess if left allow.

Problems I would like to solve before I reinvent the wheel and have to learn something brand new. XML sheets cannot be saved if you do not leave the password blank when "protecting" the sheet. Even if you protect the sheet without using a password, the filter/sort option will not work with the protection on when working across rows with locked cells.

Not looked to stop nefarious damage, only accidental mistakes. When someone retires they are left with a blank row. If the add a new person it would normally be at the end on the rows. In both cases, the numeric order of the employee numbers, for example becomes a mess. My first hope was to filter/sort option. Again, this is not allowed when other data in the row, mainly VLOOKUP coming from another worksheet is locked. Easy for them unprotect the sheet to filter/sort, easy for them to forget to protect the sheet once again and start manually entering data in areas that they should not do so.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jocksteriom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back