VBA Userform - Edit Row

snuffnchess

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I currently have an Excel sheet with MultiPage userform to add data onto a worksheet. Data has to ability to fill up to 122 columns.

I want to make it so that the sheet cannot be edited directly, I want it to be an "Edit Row" button - so the user can click in any (populated) cell in a row, click the button, and then a userform will come up, similar to "Create new entry" form, but with the active row's data in the text boxes, list boxes etc. When they click "OK" it will update the data for that row.

How do I go about doing this???

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Hi,
One idea would be to populate an array with the selected rows data and then you can use it to populate your existing userform controls or a new form if that is what you want.

Example

Code:
 Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()    
   Dim c As Long
    Dim arr As Variant

'populate array with selected row data
    arr = Cells(ActiveCell.Row, 1).Resize(, 122).Value

With UserForm1
    For c = 1 To UBound(arr, 2)
'add array data to userform textbox controls
            .Controls("TextBox" & c).Text = arr(1, c)
    Next c
        .Show
    End With
End Sub

In this example I have assumed that your textboxes have their default names (TextBox1, TextBox2 etc.) and just loop through the array to populate them.
Code would need to be adapted to take in to account other controls but this is just a suggestion which hopefully, gives you something you can adapt to your project

Others here may have alternative ideas.

Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,
One idea would be to populate an array with the selected rows data and then you can use it to populate your existing userform controls or a new form if that is what you want.

Example

Code:
 Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()    
   Dim c As Long
    Dim arr As Variant

With UserForm1
    Next c
        .Show
    End With
End Sub

In this example I have assumed that your textboxes have their default names (TextBox1, TextBox2 etc.) and just loop through the array to populate them.
Code would need to be adapted to take in to account other controls but this is just a suggestion which hopefully, gives you something you can adapt to your project

Others here may have alternative ideas.

Dave

Thank you for the suggestion. It definitely makes sense!

Let me see if i can get it to work, and will let you know if I have any questions.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the suggestion. It definitely makes sense!

Let me see if i can get it to work, and will let you know if I have any questions.

You can include things like changing caption on your current forms submit button to something like "Update" to show you are in Edit Mode and amend existing code to return record to correct row.

If you do need further help, always useful to forum if you post your forms code.

Dave

Upvote 0
That is interesting! Did not even think of that. Form code is super long as there are over 100 fields. Is there a way to upload a file on this forum?

Upvote 0
That is interesting! Did not even think of that. Form code is super long as there are over 100 fields. Is there a way to upload a file on this forum?

You place file on a file sharing platform like dropbox & provide link to it here

Dave

Upvote 0
When I added in the VBA

Code:
Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()Dim c As Long
    Dim arr As Variant

With UserForm
    Next c
        .Show
    End With
End Sub

and tested I received the following error
Run-Time Error '2147024809 (80070057)':
Could not find the specified object

File Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kivqg9ntbxckxu1/Client List - working - VB Next.xlsm?dl=0
Error Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhy0gkmo52s6mvl/4-25-2019 3-37-58 PM.png?dl=0

The other question that I have is how will things like Check Boxes, Radio buttons, drop downs etc get populated?

Upvote 0
I tried to edit my post, but was not able to.... so I did some playing around, and was able to get some stuffs to work!

Where problems are going to come into play are for areas like Column I which is a check box. Is there a way for me to map the columns back into the form, just like i mapped the form into the columns?

Code:
'populate array with selected row data    arr = Cells(ActiveCell.Row, 2).Resize(, 3).Value

With UserForm
    Next c
        .Show
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi,
I did state that suggested idea would need to be adapted to take in to account other controls in your form.

You will need to consider a method to map the return value of those controls that have Boolean value against the character you have placed in each of the cells
One possible way to do this would be to use a select case statement in the For Next Loop to help map which column(s) need to return different data type (Text or Boolean) & if Boolean, then test the character in the cell to match to the right control to set its value (True / False).

Something like following

Code:
'add array data to userform controls
        Select Case c
'specifiy columns that are for boolean controls
        Case 9, 18, 22
'index the control
            bx = bx + 1
            Me.Controls("CheckBox" & bx).Value = CBool(arr(1, c) = "A")
        Case Else
'columns that are text
            txt = txt + 1
            Me.Controls("TextBox" & txt).Value = arr(1, c)
        End Select
    Next c

Above is intended only as a suggestion not a working solution but hopefully give you an idea you may be able to build on.

Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwindels

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back