Picture object visibility

fireslguk

Conditional formatting is great for making a separate cell display when another cell has data, can this be done with a picture ?

So if an adjacent cell contains 1 or more a very small picture displays however if the cell is 0 then no picture visible ?

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Pictures have a "visibility" property that is either True or False. I do not know how to set that property except by using VBA code. That is, I don't know how to do it using a formula in a cell. I have, however, used something that you may not have considered and does something similar to what you are looking at.
Assume your column of data is A1:A50. Format a matching length of column B as Windings 2. In cell B1 enter: =if(A1<>0,CHAR(243),"") and copy down to B50.
Now all the non-zero values will have a small star next to it. This image CHAR(243) is just one of many icons. You should be able to find something appropriate either in Wingdings, Wingdings2 or windings3. The easiest way to see the available icons and their CHAR values is to click on "insert symbols" on the Home ribbon.
I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Are you wanting this for only one cell ?
Or several cells in the same column etc ?
If several cells, is it a different picture for each cell ?

Upvote 0
Pictures have a "visibility" property that is either True or False. I do not know how to set that property except by using VBA code. That is, I don't know how to do it using a formula in a cell. I have, however, used something that you may not have considered and does something similar to what you are looking at.
Assume your column of data is A1:A50. Format a matching length of column B as Windings 2. In cell B1 enter: =if(A1<>0,CHAR(243),"") and copy down to B50.
Now all the non-zero values will have a small star next to it. This image CHAR(243) is just one of many icons. You should be able to find something appropriate either in Wingdings, Wingdings2 or windings3. The easiest way to see the available icons and their CHAR values is to click on "insert symbols" on the Home ribbon.
I hope this helps.

Yes I can do that but the symbol is not as good as an image :(

And I achieved that by conditional formatting the colour font being different if another cell value was high so the symbol was always there but not visable until another cell value changed

Upvote 0
Are you wanting this for only one cell ?
Or several cells in the same column etc ?
If several cells, is it a different picture for each cell ?

Separate cells which are linked to their own picture

However the picture for all
Is the same

Upvote 0
There are several ways to do this. It depends on what your picture is.

If you want a basic picture, like a flag or arrow, consider using an Icon Set from Conditional Formatting.

You can look at the Wingdings font (or a few other character fonts) to see if the picture you want is there. If so, figure out the character that corresponds to the picture you want (for example "a" is a yin/yang symbol), format the cell as Wingdings font, and use a formula like:

=IF(D1>0,"a","")

If you still can't find a picture you want, you can look at the unicode pictures. Check this link:

http://xahlee.info/comp/unicode_index.html

You can then use a formula like:

=IF(D1>0,UNICHAR(129313),"")

which shows a clown face. There are 10s of thousands to choose from.

If you actually want a custom picture of your own, there is an elaborate way to do a lookup of pictures via VLOOKUP. The instructions are here:

https://trumpexcel.com/picture-lookup/

Hopefully, one of these will work for you. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back