Formula help explanation (search function)

Arts

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All

I have the following formula =IF(SEARCH("Risk",D41),"x","no")

Where there is risk an "x" does appear so the formula is working but where there isn't the word risk instead of getting "no" I get #VALUE . Could any one assist me in getting "no" and explain why the "no" isn't being returned on my formula.

Many Thanks

Arts

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
You can use an ISNUMBER test as search will produce a number should the search term be found:

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Risk",D41)),"x","no")

Upvote 0
You can use an ISNUMBER test as search will produce a number should the search term be found:

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Risk",D41)),"x","no")

Mr fish thank you for the speedy response!! Your solution works many thanks! I guess what I'm not getting is when using the below formula

=IF(AA3>=10,"Correct","under") this works fine no ISNUMBER is required for the False aspect to work

Upvote 0
Because AA3>=10 produces a true or false result. SEARCH on the other hand does not so the ISNUMBER is there to produce the true/false result as required in an IF test.

Upvote 0
I think I'm getting it this will be my last question on this, (apologies in advance if I'm irking you really trying to think like excel and understand this)

So when the ISNUMBER isn't there and and I use the SEARCH function what is the false value being thrown up by the SEARCH function for the false aspect of the formula not to work (I hope that makes sense) as I am seeing it as the word "risk" isn't there therefore that is false.

Upvote 0
Well no because as i say SEARCH doesnt produce a true or false result. If you use this:

=SEARCH("Risk",D41)

you will get a value error if Risk isnt present inside the cell D41 or the position of it within the cell if it is.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for your patience in explaining it to me!!! It made sense seeing the result using:=SEARCH("Risk",D41) and seeing what it returned. I wouldn't have thought to use the formula with out the IF.

Thank you once again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danger_SF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back