dragging a number without it changing

awhite1

Hello I have what I think will be a very simple question. How do i drag a cell to copy into other cells without the number changing? example: I type 20 into a1, i want to drag it to copy 20 into the next few boxes but instead it is changing the cells by 1 each time. i have one spread sheet that does what i want and one that does not but i cant find what the difference is.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
when you drag it there should be a little box that pops up with autofill options. Click on it and click copy cells

Upvote 0
Thank you. But how do i get it to just copy the cells every time so i do have to click that box each time? i will be changing the numbers in the cells often and dont want to have to click that each time like my other spread sheet.

Upvote 0
The default seems to be that is just copies the number on workbooks. If it's a date then it makes it a series and adds a day to it. If it's just a number you're trying to copy when you drag, I can't find how you changed that to begin with or any option to change it back.

Upvote 0
Check the cell format.
If it is text then you will get what you are describing.

Upvote 0
I have set the format to number or to text, either way it keeps adding 1 each time unless i manually click copy cell each time. can i make the auto fill default be to copy cell instead of fill series?

Upvote 0
In an empty cell put
=isnumber(B1)
change B1 to the cell with your number, what does it return?

Upvote 0
it comes back saying true. i don't understand what that did though, that doesn't help my auto fill. the only difference i see in my two spreadsheet is one has merged cells and one doesn't. the spread sheet that does not have merged cells has the auto fill automatically on "copy cells" like i want. the spread sheet that has merged cells has the auto fill on "fill series" but doesn't allow me to make it default to "copy cells".

Upvote 0
It's the merged cells that are the culprit, just one of their many many flaws.
Easiest option is to get rid of them.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Et_Cetera

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back