Find functionality not working while filtered

Mackers

Hi

I have a sheet containing a member reference (treated as a primary key) in column A and a bunch of data in columns B to CI.

When I filter the sheet to, say, 100 of the 1000 rows, and use the Control+F Find function, it won't find a primary key, even if that key is displaying within the filter. So let's say the key is 13053 and my filter is for anything ending in a 3. I use control+F and type in 13053 and I get the error "We couldn't find what we were looking for". When I unfilter and click Find Next again, it finds the cell containing the PK.

I would expect this to be the case for cells filtered out (i.e. not displaying), but not for ones I can see.

Is this known functionality (i.e. filtering stops the find function working, even on cells displayed during the filter)?

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Are you certain that you don't have some other range selected before you begin the Find function? I can't duplicate the problem that you're having ... unless I do something like that, such as select a section of the worksheet (whether it's filtered or not) that isn't where I want the search to be performed.

Upvote 0
Yes I'm certain. It's only going wrong with a couple of workbooks - in other cases, I can filter and then search on the filtered section.

I can literally select the cell containing the expected find result and get this issue while filtered, then clear the filter and the find works (no error, it just re-selects the cell I'm in). It might be something that's gone wrong with this particular workbook but it was quite worrying as I sometimes use Find to quickly check whether I've added someone yet, for example!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadMarty

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back