Create an empty cell via formula

piannetta

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

This is actually a chart problem, I chart time series values and they align to days of weeks. Certain days have no values and when I display them in a chart, I get a funky looking line that goes up and down rather than follow a trend of the days where there is actually data.

I know that in Excel, an empty cell doesn't show on a chart, where as a zero value cell does. Ideally I just need a way to easily remove the zero values from a chart that doesn't require me having to manually filter them out. I couldn't find a way to do that so my next best approach was to see if in the formula for each cell I can display an "empty" value (I know how odd/contradictory that sounds) rather than a "blank" cell (using "", which doesn't work as these also appear in the chart) but I can't seem to find a function that does that.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Cheers,
Pete

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Hi Pete,

Which Office version are you using? Did you try going to Chart Options > Select Data Source > Hidden and Empty Cells > Show empty cells as: Gaps?
Once this option is checked your blank (="") cells should be presented as gaps.

Alternative solution is to have "Show #N/A as an empty cell" option checked (the same options window), so that when your additional formula converts zeros to #N/As you will achieve the same result (gaps), e.g.:
=IF(A1<>0,A1,NA())

Screenshots with chart settings:
https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...r=ZXL900&HelpId=90807&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Take care,
Justyna

Upvote 0
Hi Justyna,

Thanks for the tips. I'm using the Office 365 version of Excel 2016.

The first tip doesn't work. I don't think Excel sees those cells as empty because there's a formula in them. Your second tyip does work but I've been trying to avoid that as I need the data table to also be readable and with a bunch of #NA's all through it, it's pretty ugly to look at.

Cheers,
Pete

Upvote 0
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the update.

1) You mentioned your Excel does not see cells as empty because you have some formula in them. Would you be able to share this formula with me?
2) As for #N/As, the other solution might be to apply conditional formatting and change font colour to white, e.g. =ISERROR(A1) ?
Alternatively, try wrapping your original formula with =IFERROR(...,"") - maybe by converting #N/As to blanks Excel chart will finally recognise these cells as empty.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguekHeka

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back