Excel quitting for some unknown reason - doesn't even prompt about saving

PTP86

Board Regular
Hi

A problem that's only started happening on my spreadsheet in the last couple of months.
I've got some VBA that works fine if I sit there and watch it.....it does everything it should. It finishes all of its loops and Excel stays open as it should.

Whereas if I don't sit there watching for an hour and instead I [Ctrl][Alt][Delete] to lock the computer and go away....I come back after 30 minutes to check on it and see it's still running ok and then lock the computer again for another half hour. I eventually come back and find that it finished all its loops but Excel closed itself without saving.

NB: How do I know it did all of its loops? I'm confident because I can see in the properties of the Access file that it calls on, what time the Access file was last closed.

I've done a [Ctrl][F] inside the VBA and searched within Current Project for "Workbook.Close" or "Application.Quit" and it certainly isn't there - and has never been there. Nor is there anything telling it not to display alerts. So it ought to be asking are you sure you want to quit without saving changes.

Any idea why this is happening or how I could catch when it's about to happen so that I can see what's causing it?

I doubt the opening and closing of a database connection is relevant. But in case it is....Here's that code:

Code:
Dim Conn as ADODB.Connection
Dim NumberofRecords as Long

Sub ImportData()

Dim AccessFile as string
    Dim i as Byte
    Dim QueryTableToImport as String
    Dim QueryOutputRange as String
    Dim ImportHeadingsTRUEFALSE as Boolean

AccessFile = Range("DBPath")

Set Conn = New ADODB.Connection
    Conn.Open "Provider = Microsoft.ACE.OLDDB.12.0;Data Source=" & AccessFile

Conn.Execute "DELETE FROM Criteria"

Conn.Execute "INSERT INTO Criteria ([Reference Number]) values(" _
             & "'" & Range("RefNo") & "')"

Do Until Len(Range("DataToImport").cells(i,1)) = 0
        QueryToImport = Range("DataToImport").cells(i,1)
        QueryOutputRange = Range("DataToImport").cells(i,2)
        ImportHeadingsTRUEFALSE = Range(DataToImport").cells(i,3)

Call ImportQueryResults(QueryToImport, QueryOutputRange, ImportHeadingsTRUEFALSE)

Range("RecordCount").cells(i) = NumberofRecords
    Loop

Conn.close
    Set Conn = Nothing

End Sub

Sub ImportQueryResults(QueryName As String, OutputRange As String, ImportHeaders As Boolean)

Dim RS as ADODB.RecordSet
    Dim strSQL as string

Set RS = New ADODB.Recordset
    strSQL = "SELECT [" & QueryName & "]"
    strSQL = strSQL & ".* FROM ["
    strSQL = strSQL & QueryName & "];"

RS.Open strSQL, Conn, adlockReadOnly, adCmdText

NumberofRecords = RS.RecordCount

If NumberofRecords > 0 then
         Range(OutputRange).CopyFromRecordset RS
    End if

'Plus a bit of code for the handling of whether headers are wanted

RS.Close
    Set RS = Nothing
End Sub

Thanks

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
I've thought of a workaround & it's not rocket science! Just put MsgBox("Run Complete") at the very end of the code. That seems to get around it.
If I do that, then when I get back from lunch I can just click OK and it all stays loaded as it should.

Still, I don't like how without that, it quits Excel when not instructed.
It seems as though it quits Excel when the run is finished only if the computer is locked as you do when you leave your desk

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My experience here as shown that using CTRL / ALT / DEL or CTRL / BRK causes problems with Excel/VBA.

In my case, my code has become corrupted ... macros stopped working after several times of using those key combinations ... required me to
shut everything down and restart the computer. In a majority of cases, even after re-starting the computer, the Excel file was still corrupted requiring
me to retype everything from the beginning. Nothing I did to repair the corrupted file worked.

Although it may be bothersome to close Excel / Access and then be required to restart it after lunch (or whenever), it really is the best approach. At least
for me it is.

Having to completely rebuild a workbook is not my idea of effective use of resources.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Although it may be bothersome to close Excel / Access and then be required to restart it after lunch (or whenever), it really is the best approach. At least
for me it is.

Thanks for that Logit

Unfortuntely this pattern of leaving Excel running while the computer is locked, is unavoidable for me.
The code I've written is reasonably efficient - it takes just 1 second per customer that it has to process.
But there can be 1000's of customers. So it needs to be left to run during lunch / overnight sometimes

Yes I used to find that pressing [Ctrl][Alt][Del] while Excel was the active application sometimes caused "Not Responding" / Crash.
So I avoid doing that by opening Notepad and pressing [Ctrl][Alt][Del] with Notepad the active application.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back