Mixed messages

mikecox39

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I know that [=NOW ()] delivers the current date and time; depending on how the cell is formatted, but that function is dynamic and, if left in the cell, changes over time.

I read somewhere that you can copy the result of that formula the paste it back, as data, to convert it to as static date.

So I tried to create a macro that does that and was successful. However I got a lot of mixed messages in the process.

Is this the easiest way to create a current date and time? I was thinking of using this macro as a kind of Function, that I could "call" from other macros to enter my dates.

https://app.box.com/s/l9ejhyrxoamweuvf649dg9le58iu21zc

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
A quick alternative if you are looking to hard code date is to Ctl + semi-colon. If you want to hard code the Time then Ctl + Shift + colon

Upvote 0
To write current date and time the VBA will be like that:

Code:
Sub Test
activesheet.range("A1")=now()
End Sub

Upvote 0
Confused now. In your first post you discuss a constant Date and Time -- Is that what you want or do you want one that changes? If constant then look at my post #2 .

=Now() formatted as time will give the current time every time the sheet is recalculated.

Upvote 0
I think what you are looking for is something like this:
Code:
Public Function DateNow() As Date

ActiveCell.NumberFormat = "[$-en-US]m/d/yy h:mm AM/PM;@"
    DateNow = Now

End Function

You would place that in a regular Module, not on a sheet. It will give you a static date & time. Then, type =DateNow() on your worksheet instead of =NOW().
The only problem is that the formatting doesn't seem to be taking effect. Anyone know why?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mike you could also use

Code:
Sub Test()
    With Range("A1")
        .Value = Now()
        .Value = .Value
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
A quick alternative if you are looking to hard code date is to Ctl + semi-colon. If you want to hard code the Time then Ctl + Shift + colon

Yes, I am familiar with these shortcuts but they don't work in a procedure. Here is what you get when a macro is recorded using the time shortcut:

ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "9:01:00 PM"

I want the macro I create to enter the current time in the activecell, not the one I recorded when I recorded it. I need to change that line to something that results in a current date as data.

I can't use the =now() function because it changes over time, which is why I was using the cut and past/as data option. I just wondered if there was a more efficient method.

fyi Since posting this I removed all Modules and started over. I'm not getting error messages now.

Upvote 0
=Now() formatted as time will give the current time every time the sheet is recalculated.
I want current time that is static, saved a data, that doesn't change when the sheet is recalculated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back