Swap values in Same Column Different Row ange

peerogel

Board Regular
Hello, I can't find a solution. I am trying to look through each value down a column, and compare the value to all other rows, in the same column, except to the one where it was found. If the value is not found on the compared row, take the original value in the column and swap it with the value located in the compared row.

The reason I am trying to do this, is to try and eliminate as many duplicates as possible within a row but keep the same values within the column. Not sure if there is an easier way to accomplish the same outcome. I also need to exclude (not move) some values, like: x, UFO, TRAIN, QUE, AL, SS, REV

Another example: The values are actually located between columns F and S and rows 30:112.

The value of F30 is "Test13" and it is not in row 37. So I would want to swap "Test15" for "Test13", however, "Test15" is already present in row 30 so, I want to skip that swap.

I don't want to swap X values, nor AL values so, I am skipping F31 and F32.

F35 value is "Test15". Row 33 does not contain "Test15" and Row 35 does not contain "Test13" so I would then want to switch those two values. Continue down all columns and rows trying to eliminate as many duplicates as possible within the row. If I keep going down the list the next swap would be H30 with H37 (Test14 with Test17).

Thanks in advance for any help.
open

open
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JxU9m0mUM0hX-Um1DVqN_cgbuuMUdDA-

open

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
This is where I am at right now. I am looping looking for the values but instead of getting the value of F30 and going through all the rows. I am getting the value of F30 and only looking through that row, then F31 and looking through that row and so on.

Code:
Sub GetColumns2()
Dim lnRow As Long, lnCol As Long
    Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Test")
    With ws

Set Rng = .Range("B30:B112")
        lastrow = .Range(Split(.Cells(, Rng.Column).Address, "$")(1) & _
               (Rng.Row + Rng.Rows.Count)).End(xlUp).Row
        'Debug.Print lastrow

End With
    On Error Resume Next
For x = 6 To 19
For lnRow = 30 To lastrow
MyValue = Cells(lnRow, x).Value
lnCol = Sheet13.Cells(lnRow, 1).Worksheet.Range("F" & lnRow & ":S" & lnRow).Find(What:=MyValue, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False).Column
Debug.Print lnRow & vbCrLf & lnCol & vbCrLf & MyValue
lnCol = 0

Next lnRow
Next x
End Sub

Upvote 0
Getting there.. I locked it to the first row, not sure how to loop through the rest of the rows.

Code:
Sub GetColumns2()
Dim movecell As String
    Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("G481 (2)")
    With ws

'Debug.Print lastrow

End With
    On Error Resume Next
For x = 6 To 19
MyValue = Cells(30, x).Value
'x, UFO, TRAIN, QUE, AL, SS, REV
If MyValue = MyValue = "X" Or MyValue = "AL" Or MyValue = "TIP" Or MyValue = "REV" Or MyValue = "QUE" Or MyValue = "UFO" Or MyValue = "SS" Then
GoTo NextRow
End If
lnCol = Sheet13.Cells(lnRow, 1).Worksheet.Range("F" & lnRow & ":S" & lnRow).Find(What:=MyValue, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False).Column
MySecondValue = Cells(lnRow, x).Value
                        'MsgBox lnRow & vbCrLf & lnCol & vbCrLf & MyValue
If lnCol = 0 Then
lnCol2 = Sheet13.Cells(30, 1).Worksheet.Range("F" & 30 & ":S" & 30).Find(What:=MySecondValue, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False).Column

If MySecondValue = MySecondValue = "X" Or MySecondValue = "AL" Or MySecondValue = "TIP" Or MySecondValue = "REV" Or MySecondValue = "QUE" Or MySecondValue = "UFO" Or MySecondValue = "SS" Then

GoTo NextRow
Else
        If lnCol = 0 And lnCol2 = 0 Then ' MsgBox MyValue & vbCrLf & MySecondValue

movecell = Cells(30, x).Value
    Cells(30, x).Value = Cells(lnRow, x).Value
    Cells(lnRow, x).Value = movecell
    'Exit Sub
        End If
            End If
lnCol2 = 0
Else
End If

lnCol = 0
NextRow:
Next lnRow
Next x
End Sub

Upvote 0
I got my idea sort..of working, But I am still getting a few duplicates within a row that I believe could be removed. I think that I need to add an 'if' formula stating that if the value is present more than three times and the row being looked at only has it once, then swap values... I think that will help get rid of more duplicates.

Code:
Sub GetColumns3()
Dim movecell As String
    Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("G481 (2)")
    With ws

'Debug.Print lastrow

End With
    On Error Resume Next
For x = 6 To 19
For i = 30 To lastrow
MyValue = Cells(i, x).Value
'Cells(i, x).Select
If MyValue = "X" Or MyValue = "AL" Or MyValue = "TIP" Or MyValue = "REV" Or MyValue = "QUE" Or MyValue = "UFO" Or MyValue = "SS" Then GoTo NextRow2
End If
If lnCol = 0 Then
lnCol2 = Sheet13.Cells(i, 1).Worksheet.Range("F" & i & ":S" & i).Find(What:=MySecondValue, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False).Column

'MsgBox MyValue & vbCrLf & MySecondValue

If MySecondValue = "X" Or MySecondValue = "AL" Or MySecondValue = "TIP" Or MySecondValue = "REV" Or MySecondValue = "QUE" Or MySecondValue = "UFO" Or MySecondValue = "SS" Then
GoTo NextRow
Else
    If lnCol = 0 And lnCol2 = 0 Then '
    movecell = Cells(i, x).Value
    Cells(i, x).Value = Cells(lnRow, x).Value
        GoTo NextRow2
        End If
            End If
lnCol2 = 0
Else
End If

lnCol = 0
NextRow:
Next lnRow
NextRow2:
Next i
Next x
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is almost there. I am still getting a duplicates that can be easily removed not sure what I am doing wrong, I think burnt my last brain cell. I need a walk away and look at it again in a few to see if I can figure something out.

Code:
Sub GetColumns4()
Dim movecell As String
    Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("test")
    With ws

'Debug.Print lastrow

End With
    On Error Resume Next
For x = 6 To 19
For i = 30 To lastrow
MyValue = Cells(i, x).Value

If MyValue = "X" Or MyValue = "AL" Or MyValue = "TIP" Or MyValue = "REV" Or MyValue = "QUE" Or MyValue = "UFO" Or MyValue = "SS" Then GoTo NextRow2
GoTo NextRow2
End If
If lnCol = 0 Then
lnCol2 = Sheet13.Cells(i, 1).Worksheet.Range("F" & i & ":S" & i).Find(What:=MySecondValue, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False).Column

GoTo NextRow
Else
    If lnCol = 0 And lnCol2 = 0 Or _
    (Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(ActiveSheet.Range("F" & lnRow & ":S" & lnRow), MyValue) >= 3 And _
     Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(ActiveSheet.Range("F" & i & ":S" & i), MySecondValue) <= 1) Then

movecell = Cells(i, x).Value
    Cells(i, x).Value = Cells(lnRow, x).Value
        GoTo NextRow2
        End If
            End If

lnCol2 = 0
Else
End If

lnCol = 0
NextRow:
Next lnRow
NextRow2:
Next i
Next x
End Sub

Upvote 0
Not pretty but I got it working. The only issue i see is that the top rows get less duplicates then the lower rows. The issue was with my CountIf/For statements.

Code:
    If lnCol = 0 And lnCol2 = 0 Or _
    (Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(ActiveSheet.Range("F" & i & ":S" & i), MyValue) >= 3 _
    And Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(ActiveSheet.Range("F" & lnRow & ":S" & lnRow), MySecondValue) <= 2) Then

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back