Check External Cell References in Row for exact match excluding blanks/zeros

Protoplasm

Hi all,

I'm just writing as i'm struggling to work out how to check a row that cells match exactly whilst excluding any blanks.

qXRpdnA

The thing that complicates this is all values are pulled in as external references from various other worksheets (L-Q in below example).

qXRpdnA.png

I have done quite a bit of digging in previous threads to see if i could find something that works and found this formula:

=IF(COUNTA(B23:G23)-COUNTIF(B23:G23,LOOKUP(2,1/(B23:G23<>""),B23:G23))=0,"OK","Difference")

where the ranges involved cover the 5 arguments i'm looking to match whilst ignoring blanks, in column R in the above example. I've tested this and it seems to work fine for "true" blanks but not for blanks that are created by other formulas.

I've found that when the 0's pulled through from external references are forced to show as blank (i've tried doing this with IF functions, left the 0s visible in the above example for ease of explanation) these still dont show as matching, despite the matching formula being set up to ignore blanks, as if the formula isnt recognising them as blank.

For example the above table should be showing rows 4+5 to be OK but show as different, despite using an IF(x=0,"",x) type formula to force 0s to blank in practise.

Is there any way i can check the rows for identical matching values whilst excluding 0s or blanks forced by referencing external workbooks? Can the above formula be adapted to account for this?
qXRpdnA

Thanks in advance,

qXRpdnA

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Your example is a bit confusing
Your formula is about columns B:G, yet your image is about columns L:Q

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back