Conditional Formatting Based on Another Cell Color

calliemulv

Hello!

I'm trying to find a way to set a Conditional Format for Column A based on text or color of another cell range. More specifically, my target range is $A. If $B through $H is either grey (it would be grey based on other set Conditional Formats), or contains an "X", I want Column A to be green.

If conditional formatting won't work to color the cell, how can I write a formula based on the same conditions above to return a "X" in Column A?

Thank you!

Excel document example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PorykH7hnttkN43o8NHQfYecM8_yfk5O/view?usp=sharing

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
If you used a CF formula to set the color for the cells in B:H, you can use the same formula for the col A cells (select them first) and choose whatever format you want for the col A cells.

Upvote 0
That wouldn't fulfill all of the conditions though -- there is always going to be at least one cell in B:H that is blank that would have an "X" rather than the true CF formula

Upvote 0
Can you post the CF formula you are using for cols B:H?

Upvote 0
These are all the CF formulas to shade it grey...

Column B: F="X"
Column C: O=0; or F="X"
Column D: M="Parents"; M="Off"; or P=0
Column E: K="New"; M = "On"; P=0; or F="X"
Column F: =OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("*Basketball*",$I2)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Football",$I2)))=FALSE; if O>0; if K="New"; or if H="SAF"
Column G: =IF(AND(K2="Returning",O2>0),TRUE,FALSE); if P=0; or if M="On"

Upvote 0
Apart from Column F, those don't look like CF formulas and for me are a bit confusing. For example, for the first one (Column B: F="X") is the condition that, e.g B1:F1 all have to hold an "X"? Or do you mean the CF formula for col B cells is: =$B1="X" ??

Upvote 0
Yes, they're meant to be $B1="X" -- the workbook is linked in the original posting if it's easier to see the formulas that way.

Upvote 0
Yes, they're meant to be $B1="X" -- the workbook is linked in the original posting if it's easier to see the formulas that way.
I saw your link to the workbook, but I don't download from the web. Using your first condition (col B) and second condition (col C) as an example I would try the following:
1. Select all the cells in col A you wish to apply CF to
2. use the following CF formula: =AND($B1="X",$C1="X")
3. Choose a green cell fill color

Your other conditions for cols D:G could be merged in an analogous manner.

Upvote 0
Understandable. The solution you provided wouldn't work because it would require the cells to have "X" whereas I want column A to satisfy the CF based on "X" or a grey shade from the applicable CF.

Yes, the other CFs could be combined but they were added on as they became necessary. A rainy day project I assume, unless there is an easy way to combine them?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back