Import from a text file to excel / problem with line break

ddblumenthal

Hello,

I have a text file with a lot of data. There are 2 columns. One column is names of company. The other column is summary of conversations (long text with a lot of line break). The delimiter is ; and the separator is ". The problem is that when I try to import the data, excel understand that each line break is a new row which completely mess up my data. What should I do if I want excel to just skip the line break and stick to the given delimiter and the separator?

Dan

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Hi ddblumenthal,

Welcome to the MrExcel forum.

How about providing us with A) A sample of the text, B) A sample of how you would like the text outputted to Excel and C) if it exists, the code you are currently using for this task.

Upvote 0
Cross posted https://www.excelforum.com/excel-ge...xcel-problem-with-line-break.html#post5125372

While we do not prohibit Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule 13 here along with the explanation: Forum Rules).
This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

Upvote 0
First of all sorry for not being careful with the cross post instructions. I will be more careful from now on.

Then you will find here below the text message as it is:
"Company";"Name"
"PAINT DECORATIONS INC";"CA : - de 500 000
No info
Called on 1/4
Called again on 2/4
Voicemail
"
"INC LIMITED";"No info
Called on 1/4
Called again on 2/4
Voicemail
"
When I import this to Excel 2007, it creates row for each line break. I would have posted the excel file but I do have the permission to post attachments.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
audette89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back