Weird Worksheet Protection going on

dfolzenlogen

I have something weird going on with a spreadsheet that I'm working in and given to me by a co-worker to complete. If I open the spreadsheet, it is not password protected. I am able to change column widths, font color, etc UNTIL I enter data in any cell. Once data is entered in a cell, the spreadsheet becomes "password protected" but no password is actually required. I click on Review ==>Unprotect Sheet and can enter data again in a cell but once data is entered in a cell then the worksheet is "protected" again and I am not able to change column width, format cells or text, etc. In fact, those features are grayed out on the ribbon. Any clues?

Thank you in advance for any help

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Is the workbook macro enabled? If so, maybe there is a change event handler running that protects the sheet.

Upvote 0
Right-click on the worksheet name tab and select View Code. This opens up the Visual Basic (VBA) editor. If there is a worksheet change event handler, you will see it in the window that opens. I strongly suggest, however, that you speak to your colleague if there is any code there - he must have put it in for a reason.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arndtea

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back