Changing linking so instead of being between tables, it is linking between ranges

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpaton05

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have been working on a spreadsheet for months. This spreadsheet involved filling out information in a table, upon finishing, it would be copied to another table on another sheet, where further information would be added. Once this had been done, it would be copied to another workbook. The way I had it set up was a table on the first sheet which would be copied to a table on the second sheet and finally a range in the different work book.

I have been having all kinds of problems and I have had it recommended that I convert it all so it is going from range to range to range. I am not the best at coding, as I am still learning and I wanted some assistance. I am fine with formatting the sheets, just need help with the coding.

The last workbooks are financial year documents and each row in the first sheet will have a date which is transferred to the second sheet with the other relevant information for the row. The rows contain quotes for various services. Each row is transferred one row at a time.

Could someone please help me with the code I would use to transfer each row from one range object to the next?

I have attached a copy of my spreadsheet to give you some idea of what I want.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjljdrd0afd0wgs/quoting tool 11.7 WCI.xlsm?dl=0

Thanks,
Dave

Thanks Michael, that's a good idea. Would you use the line of code, Workbooks.open?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Ok, put the name of the allocation workbook / sheet in cell A1 of a NEW..BLANK..SAVED workbook.
Then run this code from your costing workbook...try it at home first, make sure it works, then try it at work !!

Code:
Sub DP1()
Dim docYearName As String
    docYearName = Cells(1, 1).Value
    Workbooks.Open (ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & docYearName)
End Sub

Upvote 0
The code works if I add a new button on a new workbook at home. When I press the button, my allocation sheet opens.
You also said, to run it from the costing tool. It also works if I run it from the costing tool at home, as in, it opens my allocation sheet. I am going to work tomorrow, so I will test it there too.

Thanks Michael,
Dave

Upvote 0
I commented out the activeworkbook.save and activeworkbook.close and it seemed to work at first. By that, I mean no error but I looked a bit closer and realised that one row in the costing tool was copied to 2 identical rows in the allocation sheet. If I press the copy button again, it should add another row underneath but it won't add any more than the initial time the copy is performed. I keep pressing the copy button and nothing else happens.

Upvote 0
Dave
Lets focus on getting the workbook open first....no good trying to solve a second problem, if the first doesn't work.....:LOL:

Upvote 0
I think I might of found a problem, with this part of the copy code:
Code:
 Combo = tblrow.Range.Cells(1, 26).Value

If tblrow.Range.Cells(1, 6).Value = "Ang Wes" Then
            docYearName = tblrow.Range.Cells(1, 37).Value
        Else
            docYearName = tblrow.Range.Cells(1, 36).Value
        End If

Workbooks.Open (ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & docYearName)

Set wsDst = Workbooks(docYearName).Worksheets(Combo)

cell 36: =CONCATENATE(AI5," ","NPSS Work Allocation Sheet.xlsm") or 2018 - 2019 NPSS Work Allocation Sheet.xlsm

but with the Set wsDST, should docYearName be only the name of the workbook?

With the current code, I think it would look like:
Code:
workbooks(2018 - 2019 NPSS Work Allocation Sheet.xlsm).(July)

Shouldn't it just be :
Code:
workbooks(2018 - 2019 NPSS Work Allocation Sheet).(July)
?

Upvote 0
I think I may have found a problem. I changed my workbooks.open path to be
Code:
Workbooks.Open (ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & docYearName) & (".xlsm")

and if I have the allocation sheet open, it will copy to it but if I close it, it won't open it. paste the line, then close it.

Is there another method that I could try for opening the workbook?

Upvote 0
Not really....you could change the thiswoorkbook to activeworkbook
AND
remove the brackets

Code:
Workbooks.Open Activeworkbook.Path & "\" & docYearName & ".xlsm"

Upvote 0
It was driving me crazy so I went back to an earlier version that was working. I will keep you updated.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back