TCPounds

How do I create a question and answer bank with excel in a way that I can randomly produce tests with corresponding answer sheets? Also, I need to create multiple choice tests.

Little about me: real dumb. Basic instruction and guidance is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

This is difficult to answer without more information.

If you have a straight-forward (i.e., one sentence) question and a simple answer, you could put this information on one sheet with the A column being the questions and the B column being the respective answer.
Then, in the C column fill down the numbers from 1 to the number of questions. In the D column, fill down =RAND(). If you then select columns C and D and sort based on column D, you have a unique set of numbers in column C.
Note: =RAND() is volatile, so every time you run this your random numbers in D will change and you'd have to resort.

Suppose you had 20 rows of questions but you wanted a test of 10 questions. On another sheet in, say, the A1 cell (then fill down 10 rows) write: =indirect("Sheet1!A" & Sheet1!C1).
On another sheet you could put in the A column (fill down): =indirect("Sheet1!A" & Sheet1!C1) and in the corresponding B column: =indirect("Sheet1!A" & Sheet1!B1). This will give you a sheet with the question and correct answer next to it.

If you follow this, you could do something similar with multiple choice questions with the M/C answers as text in column B of the original sheet.
Column C would contain the correct answer choice, and D and E would have the sequence numbers and RAND as noted above.
Then, your test question sheet would pull from Sheet1 in the same way but pull column A then column B.

Etc., etc.

Make sense? Any help?

It got me miles past where I was. Thank you. I'll let you know if I can pull this off!

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back